Coming up on the 9 year mark.

Discussion in 'The Break Room' started by doc1955, Oct 22, 2019.

Help Support HMEM by donating:

1. Oct 22, 2019 #1

doc1955

doc1955

doc1955

Gone

Retired Former Tool Design Engineer
    Well it is about 9 years ago that I was working on some Ringbom engines when my compressor threw a rod. I milled one out of a piece of stock I had and it is still going strong (knock on wood). The compressor has been a good working unit since and it has gotten lots of usage. I would have never guessed it would last this long.

2. Oct 27, 2019 #2

tornitore45

tornitore45

tornitore45

Well-Known Member HMEM Lifetime Supporter

My compressor broke a reed valve.
    Effort to locate a spare were unsuccessful when I saw the feeler gauge pack hanging on the wall.
    Almost perfect match, just needed to be cut shorter.
    2 years, still pumping.

3. Oct 27, 2019 #3

doc1955

doc1955

doc1955

Gone

Lol Thats how I ended up with my compressor the reed valve was broken and the owner gave it to my just for coming and picking it up. I ended up using some spring steel shim stock. Haven't had any trouble with that (knock on wood)

4. Oct 27, 2019 #4

doc1955

doc1955

doc1955

Gone

Fiend of mine got his dirt cheep the owner had moved and hardly ever used it. When he go it moved to his new spot it kept blowing the breaker. He couldn't figure it out and didn't want to spend any money fixing it so my friend bought it just for the tank. I took a look at the motor and seen it had a blown cap. Ordered a new one for it and his has been good since. Too many people just throw away stuff and buy new instead of spending a little time fixing!

5. Oct 27, 2019 #5

tornitore45

tornitore45

tornitore45

Well-Known Member HMEM Lifetime Supporter

Very true. I can see somebody trowing away a perfectly repairable toaster oven since mechanical/electrical attitude is not required to someone that like buttered toast.
    But somebody that own a compressor should at least have an idea how to look for a fault.
    When we will have exhausted all our resources human will dig our garbage dumps for bits of recyclable stuff.:D

billco likes this.