COMCAST USERS ALERT!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rake60

Reaction score
We just received a notice in our Comcast email saying our account had been
put on hold. The message included a click-able link to contact customer service
and have the problem resolved.

Flag #1, the email was NOT from comcast.net it was from comcast.ne

I'm pretty confident in my internet security, so I clicked on the link knowing it was a scam.
My Norton anti-virus went crazy! LOL

I did reported this threat to Comcast but have not received a reply from them as of yet.
If you are a Comcast user and receive a similar email, trash it!

Rick

That's one of the reasons I use Linux on the Internet. Anti-virus programs are not required. Some of the other reasons are no defragging required, no registry, no registration, and it's actually easier to use than Windows has become.

n4zou said:
That's one of the reasons I use Linux on the Internet. Anti-virus programs are not required. Some of the other reasons are no defragging required, no registry, no registration, and it's actually easier to use than Windows has become.

Shhhh... don't tell anyone, you'll ruin our secret. ;D I've been using Linux in one form or another for 15 years now. I've even got my wife switched over to Ubuntu. If I could just get AutoCAD to run in it, I could give up on Windows entirely.

However, to get back to the OP's point, I would go so far as to recommend that clicking on ANY link in ANY email from someone you don't know personally is a bad idea.

That specific dodge - the idea of using the same stem, but a different suffix - comcast.ne versus comcast.net, for example - may become more prevalent with the opening of more top level domains.... and the fact that the ".ne" domain is Niger.

Thank goodness that most scammers fail on standard use of the English language. That's become my most accurate indicator, I'm afraid. Semper vigilans, folks.

Wow! Another Ubuntu user! What are the odds? I'm with you on this, PerryRT. Been using one or another Linux since '97 - now run Ubuntu on everything - servers, desktops, laptops. If I can just get Solidworks to run on it :-(

And double thumbs-up on the security advice.

Back to machining: my mill (an IH CNC) is driven by MACH3/Windows. I'm currently planning to CNC my PM1236 lathe this year. I'm vacillating between MACH3/WIN and EMC2/Ubuntu to drive it. Any advice?

Have comcast and fortunately have not seen these emails.

I also have run Linux for many years:
Centos 6.2 for server
ClearOS for firewall/gateway/vpn
Fedora 16 on laptop
Ubuntu on virtualbox

the new gnome desktop is taking some learning to be useful.
I run Windows under virtualbox for the couple of programs that require it.

Vince

Latest posts

Back