Collet swedging tool.

Help Support HMEM:

DJoksch

Reaction score
I built a swedging tool for use in restoring vintage musical instruments. It works well, but I collets do not stand up to constant use. I was thinking about case hardening. I found a product called “Cherry Red” that I think might work. Typically I am working with brass or silver. I often need to hand make missing keys and key rods. Worn key rods are reamed true and swedged, but I don’t want marks. Here are a few examples. The tools sold do not hold up and invariably do not sell the collet sizes I need. This tool uses ball thrust bearings to prevent binding and of course brass accents for looks.

Attachments

mfrick

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
You could make the collets out of Drill Rod you can machine then heat treat with a torch it comes in oil hardening and water hardening or you can get a product called Kasenite may be misspelled I have used it for years works great.

Mike

DJoksch

Reaction score
You could make the collets out of Drill Rod you can machine then heat treat with a torch it comes in oil hardening and water hardening or you can get a product called Kasenite may be misspelled I have used it for years works great.

Mike
Thanks! I will give this a try.