Cole's Power Models - What is going on there?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's great news! I do hope you can bring things back to where they
should be. When Betty had it, after Charles had to retire, it was still great
with all the things continuing as they should. But when it left Bettys
hands it sorta disappeared from sight.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Pete

I do not take over till Jan 1 but you can e-mail me direct [email protected] if you need me other wise use the normal contact info

Thanks again
Ken

Ken, it's great to hear your plans for Coles and I wish you the best of luck.

I look forward to seeing the changes you have planned for the company and please keep us informed with you progress.

I recently called Cole's on January 16, 2017, to inquire why I could no longer find their website. The Facebook page says permanently closed. Ken was kind enough to take the time and share what was going on. Ken explained that his son Ken Jr. planned on taking over the business and soon realized how much work it was. Ken Jr. gave it back to his father, Ken. Ken shared that if no one buys the business that it will just go away. Ken shared that he was 75 years old and didn't have enough time for the business. He said that there are about 20 complete kits of the 1 inch scale case traction engine and that he would sell what is in stock. I hope this helps other builders unable to find any information and Cole's.

I am a the widow of Martin Becker, the first gentleman to take over Coles from Charlie Cole. Martin was a famous special effects man (before his Wikipedia site got rewritten and other people took credit for his many groundbreaking accomplishments), and avid steam machinist, collecting and building both 7” gauge trains and stationary steam models. He got cancer shortly after acquiring the business and it was run for a bit by his employees who apparently didn’t care about keeping all the original dies and drawings in order (from what I heard later). When Martin died 6 months later, I was overwhelmed with two small children and a life-threatening illness myself (I’m fine now)—and I was told the smart business decision would be to to sell it for scrap. Instead, I found someone who seemed passionate and knowledgeable about the model-building business, and sold it “as is” to him, against everyone’s advice, on a handshake. He didn’t even have the money to pay me, so I agreed to lend it to him, as well. I felt sympathy for the Model builders I had been talking to on the phone for the previous 6 months, who had their projects half completed, I couldn’t just leave them high and dry. The deal was, after Ken finished paying for the company, then he’d buy the museum models that Charlie Cole carefully built with his own hands over the years—the perfect, beautiful functioning models used in his catalogues, which I still have. Of course, once he picked everything up and moved it to Texas Ken found some excuse not to pay me and I really had little recourse, nor time and energy to pursue it. But I do have the whole collection (complete) even the three-foot long tractor and need the money. I’m wondering what you guys think—everyone’s saying if I break up the collection and sell it off as separate items I’ll do better, but if you guys have ideas of places that would appreciate its value as a collection, I’d rather keep it together. I thought of the fact that Coles Power Models might need it for their catalogue, but I’d rather not even get back on that guy's radar. Likewise advice on where would be good places to list the items if I do split it up. Thanks!

If you want to break it up to sell I suggest you look at Cabin Fever Expo. They have become the best US place to sell models and always have many models each year. They have sold some very high end models over the years. Jarred, half of the CF management team, may jump in on this, as I know he reads this forum. I have told my wife to call them when it comes time to clear my humble models and shop.

I would also advise to contact the folks at Cabin Fever Expos.

BTW, Last year I contacted Coles and to my understanding the whole lot of the operating side was/is for sale -- as a lot -- for one figure, without an inventory of what comes with it or the desire (or possibly ability) to go through to determine what is left. As much as I'd like to take it on, Joy and I just don't have the means to purchase a failed business sight-unseen, move it to Maryland and try to breathe new life into it. It needs to be a full-time business and to do that, I'd have to quit my day job. Another option would be for it to be broken up and distributed via auction so that the businesses still in the Hobby can pick up the parts that would fit well with their offerings and goals. From the current status of the Coles prototype models, it sounds like the purchase may have "financial complications" and not be a simple sale.

Just my 2-cents.
Todd.

Back