Cole's Power Models - What is going on there?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chads, the prints are as good as any I have worked from. I normally redraw all the details for myself. I like to use the drawing to assemble the engine on paper before cutting steel just to double check all dimensions. I also work from different points than are sometimes show on the commercial drawings.

The castings are also very good. I had one flywheel with a void in it and Mike replaced it immediately at no cost to me. You can't get better service than that.

The Associated engine are great runners also. All three run just about identical to each other.

This is the latest one I got running. It runs slow and has many revolutions between firing.

NOTICE about Dick Shelly.

I talked with the Shellys on the phone today, and it is obvious I was
MISINFORMED while at the Portland show. THe Shellys did NOT sell their
model business, and are still selling kits. And fine kits I might add. They did
sell the stove pipe domestic kit to Bob Herder sometime in months past, but
that's all.

If you need a Galloway or Woodpecker hit miss model, they are still available
from the Shellys.

maury
www.lonestarengineworks.com

maury said:
NOTICE about Dick Shelly.

I talked with the Shellys on the phone today, and it is obvious I was
MISINFORMED while at the Portland show. THe Shellys did NOT sell their
model business, and are still selling kits. And fine kits I might add. They did
sell the stove pipe domestic kit to Bob Herder sometime in months past, but
that's all.

If you need a Galloway or Woodpecker hit miss model, they are still available
from the Shellys.

maury
www.lonestarengineworks.com

Hi Maury

Do you have contact information for Dick?

Thanks

Tim

I contacted Mike about the Associated and received an email back that he does not have any connecting rods ready. I'm not sure if he is shipping kits right now as I have not heard back from him when I responded I would like to place an order.

How did you make that spark plug putput?
Is that ceramic or some other material?

I'm am very happy with all of the responses on this thread. Very Helpful!!!

Dick Shelley's Woodpecker looks like a nice engine, I may get one for my 'stash'.

BC1
Jim

Richard Shelly & Sons 2835 Camp Road, Manheim, PA 17545 telephone (717) 665-5684

I decided to go with an Associated Hired Man engine from Mike in PA. I ordered it today. ;D
I am anxious to get started !!!

I've done business with all three owners of Cole's. I got excellent service when Betty ran the operation and I find the current owner in Texas to be equally good. Every item I've ordered was shipped promptly. It really upsets me when something is out-of-stock and needs to be back-ordered; but, I'm happy to say that has not happened to me under current ownership.

I would like to see Cole's survive, so that is why I try to give them all the business I can. They offer one of the wider selections in the hobby.

Count me as a happy customer.

Best regards,

Orrin

I have to agree with Orrin. If Coles has it in stock it is shipped fast.

The problem is when they don't have it.

For some reason back orders fall into a black hole never to be heard from again.

They can't or will not answer questions over the phone about what is happening or give any estimate when the might be able to ship the item. I am not talking about a month or two wait but over six months.

If they would just say it's going to take X number of months that would be fine with me.

Part of the problem is running a specialized, small business. Having to make minimum dollar amount with wholesalers for orders. I know that a number of the ones I deal with have raised the amount a couple to a silly amount.
They may not want to say that they can't afford to place the order and have no idea when they can. And in this hobby the dollars have seemed to dry up faster than in some others. Mostly because of the cost of the kits.

You then combine the economy with the decline in the number of people that are in it that have disposable income. Older members stopping due to health, age or death.

But there is no reason that a company can't give a simple straight answer. That will not result in bad press as in this thread of the people dissatisfied with the new Coles.

I feel the biggest mistake these companies make is not taking part in the forums, even if they are only reading them as guests or lurkers. They could save themselves a lot of problems, or even their business.

Chad, to answer your question on the spark plug for the Hired Man, I am going to start another thread on Associated engines.

Two weeks ago I placed an order with coles for the corliss engine, it arrived today well packed, and parts all look good. There were two pieces backordered, with so much work to do I doubt they will hold me up. I'll post my build as it goes along.

Coles never refunded my money. I had to open up a dispute case with my credit card company. Best of luck getting your parts.

I ended up puchasing the Hired Man and it has been going well.

Chads

Tom, my advice to you would be to stay on top of your back order religiously. Even though, as you say, you will have enough work to keep you busy, (good luck to you and I am looking forward to seeing your in progress reports by the way) that is how my bad experience began. A phone call to them at least once a month would not be out of line in my opinion. That may sound harsh but the fact of the matter is they are in a business, I understand that. *However*, from past experiences they don't give a rat's ass about two BOed parts on one order and in most all likely hood not follow up in getting the pieces made in a timely fashion. My reasoning is the Corliss probably isn't one of their top sellers due to the cost of the casting sets and so, with a smaller demand, and the foundry not having a high demand for them being poured, your parts will be postponed until such time that the foundry gets around to casting them. I could be wrong here but that is exactly how my orders wound up taking well over a year to fill (absolutely unacceptable in my book.

BC1
Jim

Thanks for the heads up Jim. I intended to give them a month then follow up, I'll just keep after them until the parts are done.

The flywheel is rough turned, and just trimmed the bottom of the crankcase, photos as it goes along.

I no longer accept the "IN STOCK" quote from any supplier. In the last couple of years I have found that term means they know where it is. It might be in a warehouse down the street, in another country or at the factory in China.

The only recourse is to get a definite delivery date to your door. If they fail to meet delivery, cancel the order immediately. I recently ordered a computer power supply and wondered why they quoted eight days delivery for an in stock item. I was satisfied with the eight days and it arrived on the eighth day but it came from the US and I ordered it from a company in Canada who showed it in stock.

I would be more than happy to tell you exactly what is going on at Cole's Power Models

First I am Ken Rhodes jr some of you know me as Kenny
Cole's is up and running despite all the rumors and plain bad information that is out and about

Before I get hit with all the problems with service and such, I wish to address everything in the near future

As of Jan 2016 I will be running daily operations at Cole's and hope to restore it to its former
glory and once again become the place you trust with your model needs

I would like to update the company with online ordering and catalogs along with many other changes to better serve the hobby

Ken Rhodes sr will still be at Cole's but will be stepping back and taking a much needed and deserved retirement he is 74 years old and can no longer do the amount of work needed to keep up

I hope to answer more questions and hope with your help we can move foward and enjoy this great hobby together

Ken

Back