Coleman Fuel ?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyline1

Reaction score
Not quite sure where to post this one so I've posted it here.

What is Coleman Fuel

I've heard it mentioned many times as a fuel for I.C. engines but what is it ?

Perhaps as a Brit I might know it by another name

Please excuse my ignorance but I'm mainly a steam man.

Regards Mark

In Australia it's known as shellite, readily available at hardware stores. I think that it might also be known as white spirit, but not sure.

Paul.

Don't quite know the makeup , its lower octaine than pump petrol but its used for camping stoves, should be able to get it from any decent camping shop or I got mine online. I does not smell anywhere near as much as petrol so you won't stink the workshop out.

Definately not "white spirit" but in the US its often called "white gas" as its a clear gasoline.

Aspen is another similar fuel worth looking at for hit & miss type engines

Jasonb is right, white spirit is what we know here as turpentine. Must have been getting confused with white gas.

Paul.

Coleman fuel is a gasoline type mixture. It is a trade name of the WC Coleman company.

In 1905 Coleman invented a gasoline powered light for farms, cabins and outdoorsmen.
During WWII he invented and sold compact potable backpack stoves to the US army.

After the war he made stoves and lanterns for the american public.
Over the years coleman has added such products as tents and canoes, camp chairs, cots etc to the coleman family.
Here in the states the coleman name means camping gear.
Tin

Coleman fuel is a petroleum naphtha product marketed by The Coleman Company. Historically called white gas (not white spirit), it is a liquid petroleum fuel (100% light hydrotreated distillate) usually sold in one gallon cans. It is used primarily for fueling lanterns and camp stoves.
Though Coleman fuel has an octane rating of 50 to 55 and a flammability similar to gasoline, it has none of the additives found in modern gasoline.

300px-Camp_fuel.jpg

Coleman fuel is a petroleum naphtha product marketed by The Coleman Company. Historically called white gas (not white spirit), it is a liquid petroleum fuel (100% light hydrotreated distillate) usually sold in one gallon cans. It is used primarily for fueling lanterns and camp stoves.
Though Coleman fuel has an octane rating of 50 to 55 and a flammability similar to gasoline, it has none of the additives found in modern gasoline.

300px-Camp_fuel.jpg

Maxx said it all... Coleman fuel is naptha. Naptha is also available from paint stores as a fast evaporating thinner.

The nice thing about Coleman fuel is it's easy to ignite and doesn't have excessively noxious exhaust fumes. Alcohol is a good fuel but tends to make an engine a bit hard to start and run poorly until it warms up (which most model engines really don't do to the extent a full size engine does).

I find my engines run very well on a blend of Coleman fuel and either alcohol (ethanol or methanol) or Acetone. Diluting the Coleman fuel seems to make the engine run cleaner with less soot on the plug (and raises the octance FWIW) and alleviates the hard starting issues with just plain alcohol.

Acetone instantly dissolves into the naptha, buit alcohol does not. It needs a good shake. The amount of alcohol you can dissovle into naptha is limited to about 50% before it separates out. The Coleman fuel remains clear whern mixed with acetone, but becomes cloudy when mixed with alcohol. It looks crummy, but it works.

I've heard reports that Coleman fuel sometimes has small particles looking like lint suspended in it which can clog carburetor orifices. Other brands, from what I've heard can be cleaner. Nonetheless, I usually run my fuel through a coffee filter first.

Getting back the exhaust... I've run my engines on plain gasoline and they run really well, but the exhaust fumes are awful. Eyes tearing, layer of smoke up near the ceiling, etc.

John

Thanks for the info fellas

I mistakenly thought it was some kind of nitro whatever fuel for little low flying wasp engines about the size of your thumbnail, well perhaps not THAT small !

Nowt or 80,000 R.P.M. jobs, nothing wrong with them BTW amazing little machines and guys who can built and run 'em have my admiration, needs very good, precise, craftsmanship

It seems Coleman fuel is a somewhat more gentle Naptha based fuel and available in the U.K.

I asked the fount of all knowledge that is HMEM and you answered me

thanks Guys

Regards Mark

I'm wondering whether this is quite right. I seem to recall earlier Coleman stoves being used in WW2 and just later-- and run on paraffin/kerosene. The rule seemed to be if it had a pump, it was for paraffin whilst if it hadn't, it was for petrol/gasoline. I'm quite with 'light solvent naptha' but only in paints/varnishes etc- but not in stoves.

I also recall someone filling a paraffin Primus with petrol. But that is a story not for the telling here.

The rule seemed to be if it had a pump, it was for paraffin whilst if it hadn't, it was for petrol/gasoline.
Every Coleman liquid fuel appliance I have ever seen and used had a pump. the main difference with paraffin /kerosene is it needs a preheat of usually an alcohol gell or some other heat source to vaporize enough fuel to get the thing going.
with Coleman fuel you burn vapor until there is enough heat to vaporize the liquid fuel.
I have only owned the white gas type devised and a propane one No pump. I do remember a CO having and using a kero fueled Coleman lantern. Kero lanterns are still available from Coleman but more expensive by about 50% than a dual fuel (White gas/Unleaded fuel) model.

This info from the coleman web page::
WHAT TYPE OF FUEL IS RIGHT FOR YOU?
How do you know if you should buy a propane stove or a Dual Fuel™ model? A liquid fuel lantern or a canister style? The first question that you have to answer is what type of fuel to use. There are differences in cost, convenience and performance with each fuel type. We'll walk you through the respective advantages so that you can make an educated purchase decision. But the most important consideration is how you'll be using the appliance you're thinking of buying. Will you be heading into remote high country? Pitching a tent at a campground in a national park? Or just heading out for the weekend on a local trail? To a certain extent, how you'll use the appliance will dictate which you should buy.

PROPANE

More campers use this fuel than any other, probably because of convenience and ease of use. No pouring. No priming. Just attach the fuel cylinder to the appliance and you're in business. Coleman equipment is pressure-regulated at 15 psi (pounds per square inch) to ensure steady output throughout the life of the cylinder. Propane offers great overall reliability, but be aware that it operates less effectively at subfreezing temperatures than liquid fuels. Cold will cause a pressure drop in the cylinder and output will diminish as a result. Cylinders weigh two or three pounds, so propane isn't the lightest weight option. Nor is it the least expensive. However, if you tend to set up camp and stay for days or weeks, investing in a refillable bulk tank will significantly reduce the overall cost of fuel.
Main advantages: convenience and availability.

COLEMAN® FUEL

Also called white gas or camping fuel, you can't beat it for camping in the winter or at high altitude. Burns hot even at subzero temperatures. And unlike butane and propane, output doesn't falter as temperatures drop. Coleman® Fuel is very refined, and burns hotter and cleaner than other liquid fuels. It's relatively inexpensive and not difficult to come by. By carrying the fuel in small refillable fuel bottles, you don't have the disposal considerations you do with empty propane or butane cylinders. But unlike appliances that use those fuels, you do need to fill liquid-fuel appliances. And for steady output, they need to be pumped occasionally to maintain pressure within the fuel tank.
Main advantages: heat output and economy.

BUTANE/PROPANE FUEL

Butane/Propane mix canisters are lightweight, resealable, and easily connect to stoves and lanterns. Most canister appliances are lightweight and simple to use, so if you are a backpacker who counts ounces and appreciates convenience this fuel is for you. Downsides are that canisters can't be recycled, and in subfreezing temperatures, the fuel does not perform well. Or at all. Cold temperatures affect the pressure in the canister, so performance is best in mild to moderate conditions, You'll find this fuel in specialty and sporting goods stores under several brand names.
Main advantages: convenience and light weight.

UNLEADED GASOLINE

Our DualFuel™ appliances are made to accommodate automobile fuel. Coleman's modified valving even allows for differences between summer and winter blends. At 1/10 of the cost of propane, unleaded gas is the cheapest of all appliance fuels. And it's available everywhere, of course. In an emergency, you can siphon gas from the tank of your RV or car to use in a DualFuel lantern or stove. Although it's the most economical fuel to use, you'll extend the life of your appliance by using purer Coleman™ Fuel most of the time.
Main advantages: availability and low cost.

KEROSENE

Used less now that other fuel options are available, kerosene is economical to use, readily accessible and dependable. Disadvantages are that it's smoky and has a strong smell. Also, kerosene appliances do require priming with a preheat fuel.
Main advantage: low cost.

The original WWII military stoves by necessity had to be able to burn any liquid fuel.

I think we should not lose the main point here. Camp fuel is a purer cleaner form of gasoline and as such performs better with less fouling in camp appliances and model engines. 2) Idenitfying availability and alternate trade names of this product in UK and Europe.
I think the key here may be to look for camp fuel and look in camping stores.

A google search for Camp fuel here comes up with the Crown trade name.
I expect camp fuel is available in most parts of the developed world. The key is knowing where to look and what label to look for. Again the point of his thread.
so as a test I typed camp fuel uk. then coleman fuel in the GO outdoors web page and lo and behold.

14651-100211141633891847858.jpg

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/coleman-liquid-fuel-p175327
So one can find this product in the UK.

Tin

Back