CO2 Model airplane engine plans?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rklopp

Reaction score
Does anyone know of published plans for a CO2 model airplane engine? That'd be one that uses CO2 cartridges like for paintball guns or seltzer water.

Go to the FAME website http://www.floridaame.org/

Top right of the page click "Gallery"

Bottom of the left column click "Non combustion model engine"

Tward the bottom of the gallery look for the "David Kerzel CO2 V1" and "David Kerzel CO2 V2" engines. He also built a variation of them in the form of a 9 cylinder radial. I personally made a variation in the form of a V8.

Steve
Thank you. That's very helpful. Did you run your V8 on CO2 or compressed air? (Maybe that question is based on a false premise - perhaps you ran it on XF6!)
RKlopp

When i was young boy, we had the CO2 engine on market. If you want to use the engine in the air plane, the weight must be low as possible, also the CO2 engine had the crankcase, cylinder jacket, piston, back cover to crankcase, valve seat inside top of the cylinder made of plastic material, crankshaft and cylinder made of steel. The cylinder cover which is treaded into the top of the cylinder and connecting rod made of brass. The valve was a steel ball. Connecting rod was connected to piston (ball socket joint) same manner as all Cox engines has it. The CO2 tank of aluminium with copper pipe between the engine and CO2 tank. The "ignition timing" was adjusted by cylinder, unscrew from crankcase = retard and vice versa, some engines had cylinder head who is adjustable. It was really a "weightless" engine. :)

Last edited:
Steve
Thank you. That's very helpful. Did you run your V8 on CO2 or compressed air? (Maybe that question is based on a false premise - perhaps you ran it on XF6!)
RKlopp

I have run it on air only.

DSCN1292s.jpg~original

DSCN1661.jpg~original

Back