CNC with bandit cont ???

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aonemarine

Reaction score
Ran across thins on craigs list. http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/tls/3631515208.html

I know nothing of cnc, so I have to ask, can you just upload G code from cam into this controller, or use mach 3 to run the controller?
Anyone know anything about this type controller and machine?
Price seems ok just not sure about the best way to controll the machine, especially if the controller is bad....

Mach3 IS a controller. The Bandit control is obsolete, so a conversion to mach or some other modern control should be planned on.

I would be leery of buying any CNC mill that cannot be viewed under power, but if the iron is good then the price is too. You would just need to be able to do the control conversion.

The Z axis is the spindle, so you are looking at a 6" maximum Z travel with a manual knee.

Hi,

Never heard of that type of controller before, Mach3 is a stand alone operating system so will not work.
Going by the picture the controller is old as the hills, there is a data transfer cable there though.

Finding a cam program with the correct post processor will be difficult, Its not all doom and gloom but, i also see a programmers manual in the picture and would assume that there is some sort of software with the machine that is dedicated for this type of controller.

I would definatley request more info before buying. Another option would be to re retro fit the machine to run Mach 3 using the servo's etc already fitted, this way all you would (theoretically) have to do is build and connect the controller.

Anywayz here is a good thread I found that should help answer some questions for you.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/cnc-machining/bandit-cnc-controller-124466/

Cheers,
Baz.

Well it's pretty obvious I know nothing of cnc.. Ok updating terminology... Would it be possible to bypass the bandit but retain its servo drivers and then run it from mach 3? Im going to search for a servo driver that will work with mach 3 now. Probably best for me just to skip this mill all together and get a Tormach, but they are pricey compaired to a used cnc mill....

Yep, you can either build or buy a ready made controller to suit the servo motors already fitted.

There are several companies out there that can tailor a system to suit the needs of the machine, Price can be hefty for a quality ready made system though, up towards the $2000.00+ mark. Although doing it yourself can save
a lot. Low Cost Cnc Retrofits is one company, tried to paste the link but the web page is down at the moment, Lets say you paid $2500.00 for the machine then added a controller for another $2000.00, supplied a computer $500.00 or so, Purchased a Mach3 licence $175.00 and a cad/cam program $1000.00 for an average one, it adds up very quickly. Another thing is there will be very little or no support or warranty for all this. So far the figure is at $6175.00.

When you weigh up that the below can be had for $6850.00 the other mill seems hardly worth the trouble. Also you get great support and a good warranty, keeping in mind you would still need tooling,software etc.

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3829&category=1241045623

I did a cnc conversion on a SX3,the thing owes me over 7k and is an absolute weapon but still not up to the quality of a Tormach. If I had my chance again I would have bought the Tormach and saved a few bucks and also my sanity.

My figures are only estimates though they will be reasonably close to the reality,

Have fun.;)

Cheers,
Baz.

Last edited:
Baz, thanks for that. You are probably dead on with pricing. The main thing you hit on was support. A newbe starting out in the world of cnc is really going to need some. Thats one of the main reasons I like the tormach. Just having a hard time trying to justify the cost to the wife.....Then again its easier to ask for forgiveness than a cnc mill ;)

obsolete or not you can use the existing control if you learn a little about it. mach would be nice but you need to find out a lot about the servo drives to know what you need to do the conversion, so you may want to try the existing control for a while. i doubt those are steppers. i'm sure they are brushed dc servos with encoders. but how that encoder information is used and how to use that with the control software of choice is a question i can't answer. so if you do a conversion you may want to buy the servo drives new unless you can find information on the existing ones and they happen to play nice with the control software. spend time on cnczone if a conversion is in your plans.

There is no assurance that the control works at all if you cannot power it up. If the control itself runs on 110V power you can probably try to see if it comes alive.

The ad says its not working, so I would assume that means the control. Any electronics that old are not worth even thinking about saving. Throw the whole lot out, maybe keeping the servo drives and use a PC with mach and a control like the kflop or dspmc. All the new electronics and mach ought to fit within the $2k price.

Most important would be to look over the mechanicals- if its worn out and loose then its scrap iron.

Im just going to wait for now....He hasnt responded if its still available anyways.

Ran across thins on craigs list. http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/tls/3631515208.html

I know nothing of cnc, so I have to ask, can you just upload G code from cam into this controller, or use mach 3 to run the controller?
Anyone know anything about this type controller and machine?
Price seems ok just not sure about the best way to controll the machine, especially if the controller is bad....

Te best piece of advice I can give you is to look at this as a source of castiron. Some time ago I spent a considerable art of my life servicing those Bandit controllers built into a custom diamond turning lathe. RUN AWAY. The controller was likely great for what is was all those decades ago but even hobby level controllers would be better today.

That being said I wouldn't turn the machine down if it is in good condition. If the control works it is better than nothing but understand it is an extremely limited controller. You can down load programs to most version of the Bandit as long as the program is brief. You would be far better off investing in the machine with the intention to up grade the CNC controller as soon as possible, The thing is even if the machine is working 100% modern programming would quickly overwhelm the memory capability of the machine.

If the machine isn't working expect to pay a huge amount of dollars for parts and servicing if you can even find it. The Bandit isn't exactly a service free controller. The models we had consisted of a large backplane and a whole bunch of cards to realize what would be a single card and a PC today. That was for 3 axis.

Im just going to wait for now....He hasnt responded if its still available anyways.

One more thing, don't assume that you can easily transfer the hardware to a new controller. Bandits can be configured in a number of different ways including resolver feed back instead of today's common rotary encoder. The mill may be in good shape mechanically and if so may be of value that way, but don't assume that you will be able to easily reuse the servos with a new controller.

Latest posts

Back