Clutch?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MRA

Reaction score
Hi folks

I'm adding a motor with a worm-reduction box onto the x-axis of my home-made miller.

I was going to do it with a long and improbable belt drive, so as to be able to slacken the belt and use the hand-wheel. But a direct-drive would be neater, and easy with the motor I have fallen upon.

I could make the drive attach and detach with a 12-pt socket and bolt head, as a kind of dog clutch. But if I needed to re-engage the motor I might need to move things by up to a 30 deg turn, before I can engage it.

So - anyone have an idea for a simple in-line clutch which I can engage or disengage at any point? I'm wondering about a taper held in by light axial pressure.

cheers
Mark

A rubber cone clutch would work. Do You have a milling machine with an adjustable handle is another example.

Stefan Gotteswinter had a good you tube video on setting up a power feed for the mill, including the clutch.

hey Herbie, that's very fancy...maybe V3.0 milling machine! I like the idea of a rubber cone as well - that could be V2.0. And version 1? That's just a bolt head and a 12 pt socket. I forgot there's enough backlash in the feed screw nut that even if I have to back the handle off 30 degrees to engage the motor, the bed isn't going to move :)

Tomorrow I hope to cast an ally thing which the motor housing will slot onto, to contain the torque reaction. The motor came in a nice heavy abs box which I'm going to retain since it will keep the crap out and make it easier to mount. It's the 'incline motor' off a treadmill I bought for the main motor, which is going on my lathe. So I hope to get my 15 quids-worth out of it all!

Latest posts

Back