Clamp Knurler

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chucketn

Senior Citizen
Reaction score
This is my version of a clamp knurler.

http://s571.photobucket.com/albums/ss157/chucketn/Machining/knurler/

It’s made from a couple pieces of ½” key stock, and ¾” x ¼” flat bar, ½” round stock for the pivots, ¼” all thread, and bolts, nuts, and springs from the junk box. I based it on the clamp knurler drawing available on the LMS website, Thor Hansen’s design, and Ken’s plans from Projects in Metal.
The knurl wheels are medium, from LMS.
I started to make the arms from key stock before I had the knurls on hand. I soon realized if I milled a slot in the key stock for a 3/8” thick knurl, the sides holding the knurl would be about 1/16” thick and probably wouldn’t hold up. Back to the drawing board!
I actually had to remake several parts as my design evolved, All in all, a fun project. You can imagine my excitement when it worked first try!
I have a ¾” x ¼” straight knurl wheel from the cheepie bump knurl from LMS. I plan to make a plain smooth wheel to match it and try it in my knurler.

Chuck in E. TN

Nicely done Chuck! There is nothing I can think of that it more gratifying than making one's own tooling, and having it actually work. ;D

I started one as well - just haven'y got round to finishing it ...

IMGP0303.jpg

Vic.

Latest posts

Back