CL find - Grinder

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kvom

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went to pick up a metal parts cabinet from a listing on CL (which was nice in itself), but since the seller was getting rid of a lot of other stuff I browsed around. I came across a grinder sitting on the floor covered in sawdust. The plate on the motor showed a Dayton 1740 RPM 3/4HP motor driving two very old wheels. Plugged it in and it turns, although the on-off switch had no effect. Looks to be at least 8". Seller said he hadn't used it in years.

Anyway, $20 for the grinder and a pedestal. Some new wheels and a new switch with a bit of cleanup, and I can turn my cheapo Delta 6" bench grinder into a buffer.

I just did a bit of dissasembly. Turns out to be a 10" grinder which had wheels that are now 6". Looks like a lot of use. The switch is indeed shorted out, but I imagine a similar-size rocker switch should be obtainable.

After a bit of effort trying to get one of the wheels off, I finally realized that one end of the motor shaft has left hand threads.

The wife thinks the pedestal would look nice with a flower vase on it, but she's due for disappointment.

Hi kvom,

Great find...

;D Tip... ;D

To remove nuts off of grinding wheels and saws, spin them off in the direction of cut or spindle rotation.

Regards,

Philly.

Since I need to get new wheels, what should I choose? I'm thinking aluminum oxide, 60 and 100 grit.

Found a replacement switch at Grainger, which I should be able to pick up this week. I love how MSC, Grainger, and McMaster-Carr all want $13 to ship a $5 rocker switch.

Kvom,
You might find the rocker switch at your local hardware store, or at your local electrical supply store. Probably for less money and no shipping. Yesterday, I got a 30 amp on/off switch for <5.00 at the electrical supply for a 3HP motor.
Regards,
Fred

Don't know what you intend to grind but it seems rather large for a model makers workshop , a 6" grinder is adequate for anything I can think of , it would make a good polishing rig though and be better than your smaller grinder for this job.
A 10" polishing mop would be very useful and you will have fun making R/H and L/H threaded points to carry the mops.

I got the switch some time ago at Grainger, plus got a 46-grit 8" wheel from Enco mounted last week.

I did get two 6" cloth wheels at Sears to experiment with some polishing. The sewn wheel seems to work pretty well, but the loose floppy wheel seems rather useless. I can't get it to pick up any poslishing compound. On the sewn wheel I tried the white "medium" stuff. It does give a shine on brass or aluminum, the little bit I tried, but doesn't remove machining marks. I will need another wheel for the emery grade, and/or some finer sandpaper before going to the wheels.

Kvom, "SHE'S DUE FOR A DISAPOINTMENT" now that's funny tho my wife wouldn't get it. Machine tools are not garden furniture.

Pete

Kvom,
You have the same problem that I have. The grinder is spinning to fast. For that size wheel you would be better off with a 1750 RPM motor. Mine is a 6", 3600 RPM and it is too fast. The wheels don't load up well with the compound. I have considered connecting it to an arbor with pulleys set up to slow the the wheels down.
Such as here-http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=4988&title=POLISHING%20ARBORS%20&%20PILLOW%20BLOCK%20SETS
Regards,
Fred

Latest posts

Back