Cirrus V8 rotary valve engine build 2x scale up

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I borrowed a compressor,made some inlet nipples and tried to run my models
0 out 0f 5 so far.The V8 wont even think about it.Too stiff and lots of leaks.Main problem is i think that the 8mm balls are too large and the springs too strong
as chuck mentioned.Will sleeve the heads and fit smaller balls and lighter springs.Will also fit gaskets to leaks,but more probably some gasket compound
as heat is not a problem,will also have to ease off some tight spots.Timing is set so its right or wrong.Bear with me.The Sturt 10 almost runs.If or when i have success i will post videos

Baz, I moved to Indiana recently. When my shop is up and running, my next build would be your 2X build of the Cirrus V8. Is it possible to get rid of the Photo Bucket stuff covering up your pictures? I would like to see your pictures as I'm sure they will help me with my build.
Thanks,
Dave

Hi Dave ,i will post a few at a time,and try to keep them in order
Will also try to add additional text if needed. Good luck and start a post
regards barry 01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

ccase 02.jpg

ccase 01.jpg

ccase 03.jpg

ccase 04.jpg

Well Dave i have added a no of photos to the thread and then went back to the beggining of the post and deleted blank photos and added new ones
Concequently the thread text posts are in the correct sequence but not necessarily the photos.Its the best i can do.Will add the last relevant photos now,hope it all helps.Please post when you start and i will help further where i can. Tried uploading some video showing the running in etc but no go
So will take some more and upload to Utube.I can also take additional specific
photos at your request if and when required All the best Barrypipe 02.jpg

piston 01.jpg

piston 04.jpg

piston 06.jpg

sump 01.jpg

sump 03.jpg

sump 07.jpg

sump 08.jpg

valve 03.jpg

valve 06.jpg

Baz,

When hogging out the crankcase, I notice you don't have a half circle drilled into the crankcase (where the bearings will go) to allow your home made boring bar to move half way into the crankcase to make a true 1.250 inch radius. Do you have to make a true 1.250 inch radius? If not what is the diameter of the vertical bar that you've drilled out for the boring bit? I've made my crankcase from a square block of aluminum that I just sawed in half diagonally length wise so I'm already at the crankcase 45 degree mark. I've learned don't start taking off metal until you're sure of what you're doing. I await your reply. Let's see if I can upload a couple of pictures of my setup.

Dave

Cirrus Crank 1.jpg

Cirrus Crank 2.jpg

Hi Dave the first photos the start of hogging out the crankcase
the second photos show the finish hogging with the half holes and centre bearing recess machined for when i realized i had to get the tool all the way in
Dims are not important as the case has clearance for the moving parts
Regards barry

I got the sump finished and then fitted to the crankcase with the required fixings then rough out the CC,bolt together and bore the end holes and machine
the centre bearing section This then allows you to finish machining the crankcase

Barry,

During the machining of your crankshaft, I noticed that the ends weren't turned to the final diameter. Just what was the chronology (in decreasing diameters) did you use during the machining of the crank. On the plans, if you double everything, the final end looks like it should be 0.376 in. Did you go that small? What was the final OD and ID of the ball bearing you used on the ends? It looks like you didn't go to final diameter until the end. I'm assuming you did this to keep some beef at the ends for stability during the machining of the eccentrics and the middle bearing surface. I almost botched the end of my slug for my crank. I also forgot some machining teachings of a Master Machiist. I got piggy in trying to hog out too much material in the block. Now I'm waiting for some new 3/8 inch boring bars after breaking off a brazed end. And everything I do wrong never goes into the trash. I save all my learning experiences (botched work) in a drawer. And from time to time when I'm looking for something, when I find that stuff, I take the time to look at them and remind myself, "Don't do that again!!"
Dave

Cirrus Crank 1.jpg

Cirrus Crank 2.jpg

Hi David,i did not double up everything exactly.The cheap skate bearings
are 21x12x5. The shaft ends i finished at 10mm rather than .375. where possible i went slightly larger than size in some areas.The crankcase was was \bored out to 16mm dia The centre brass bearing can be anything but i kept it
to 16mm for strength.Everything was kept oversize while the main turning was done and final turning to size kept light.I will repost all my photos here with
additional text.Hope it all makes sense.My memory has fadedcrank 01.jpg

crank 02.jpg

crank 03.jpg

crank 04.jpg

crank 05.jpg

crank 06.jpg

crank 07.jpg

crank 08.jpg

Thanks Barry,
In the future, you don't have to show pictures to me. I have all the pictures you've posted on a flash drive. So anytime I need to see what you've done, I can always refer to my flash drive. Now with your reply, a lot of things are making sense to me now. Not only you, but I have a best friend who's a retired master machinist who's guiding this "grasshopper" on what to do. Let's see if I have the smarts to actually LISTEN and not go off on my own!!!

Dave

Keep going grasshopper.Dont forget it was daunting for me and i learned
as i went.Everything worked out well for well for me so dont deviate too much
Keep us posted.Allthough Chuck Fellows did the design and supplied all the drawings,the changes i made made it the biggest and most complex job to date for me.But looking back doing it in stages made it easier

Hi Barry,

Just a quite note to say thanks for the build thread, and taking the time to update the photos after photo bucket did the dirty on everyone; greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
.adrian

Latest posts

Back