Cirrus oil pipes

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobden72

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi this is to those who have finished the Cirrus 1/4 scale engine. The drawings do not show the pipe work in the sump for the scavenge pipe or the feed pipe above on the oil tray. What have others done and how did they connect it to the two oil connectors in the rear casting. Any help as I have tried two plans so far and failed with not enough room or obstructing the crank.

Sadly I don't have any photos of the inside of my crankcase and the pipe work. I'll try to provide a description, hopefully it will help.

I ran a supply 3/16" brass tube parallel to the crankshaft in-line with the upper right hole on the rear of the sump. The front end of the tube is blocked off and small holes are drilled in four place to match the baffle tray depressions under the crank throws. The brass tube is clamped in a fitting fastened to the baffle plate near the front. The rear of the tube passes through an o-ring placed in a relief on the rear face of the sump. The ring is pinched into place by the rear cover. The rear cover is threaded to accept a right-angle compression fitting.

For the pickup I used a weighted clunk on the end of a short piece of tygon tubing. The clunk reaches the centre of the sump just to the rear of drain plug. the other end of the tygon tubing slips over a hose fitting I made to thread into pickup hole in the rear-centre-bottom of the sump. For good measure I safety wired the tubing onto the fitting. The supply side of the pump connects to another right angle fitting threaded into the rear cover. The rear cover gasket seems to be containing the oil in this area so far.

In summary, the internal pipework ends at the rear face of the sump and the external pipework ends at the inside face of the rear cover.

Hope this is helpful.
Charlie

Sadly I don't have any photos of the inside of my crankcase and the pipe work. I'll try to provide a description, hopefully it will help.

I ran a supply 3/16" brass tube parallel to the crankshaft in-line with the upper right hole on the rear of the sump. The front end of the tube is blocked off and small holes are drilled in four place to match the baffle tray depressions under the crank throws. The brass tube is clamped in a fitting fastened to the baffle plate near the front. The rear of the tube passes through an o-ring placed in a relief on the rear face of the sump. The ring is pinched into place by the rear cover. The rear cover is threaded to accept a right-angle compression fitting.

For the pickup I used a weighted clunk on the end of a short piece of tygon tubing. The clunk reaches the centre of the sump just to the rear of drain plug. the other end of the tygon tubing slips over a hose fitting I made to thread into pickup hole in the rear-centre-bottom of the sump. For good measure I safety wired the tubing onto the fitting. The supply side of the pump connects to another right angle fitting threaded into the rear cover. The rear cover gasket seems to be containing the oil in this area so far.

In summary, the internal pipework ends at the rear face of the sump and the external pipework ends at the inside face of the rear cover.

Hope this is helpful.
Charlie
Charlie, thanks for your very thorough answer and I now understand. I knew where the pipes had to go my problem was the joint at the rear end. Now you have explained it its obvious, the old brain just needed a kick start in the right direction. My brain has stoped hurting now so it off to the workshop. Thanks Bob

No worries Bob. I'm glad the "brain pain" was temporary!
Sometimes it's the tiniest little thing that brings to mind what we probably knew already.
Charlie

Back