Christmas gifts and learning how to hand turn!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metal Mickey

Reaction score
Couldn't see a slot for this post really since its not to do with engines, although prompted by my two wobbler's as Christmas presents last year.

I wanted to make something in the workshop that I could give to more members of my 'own' section of the Freeman family. Looking through the Axminster tools website(UK) I came across their gift section and thought I would have a go at making a pen, pen and pencil or fountain pen set. In the end I thought I would try a couple and see if I could do it first.

So I ordered their 2MT pen arbour and a set of bushes for one of their pen types. I must say (and I have nothing to do with the company) that the quality of the pen kits is outstanding. I am pleasantly surprised at the end results. My practice first pen I gave (in its good quality pen box - better than you would get if buying a commercial good quality fountain pen - I know, I have) to the chap I deal with at my local scrap yard and to say he was pleased is an understatement. Worth its wait in gold (well brass really). I don't mean for this to sound a boasting post, only as encouragement if you have ever thought of making a gift. Their (not mine) kit and supporting items are top quality.

To start with I needed to have a tool rest so knocked one up in about an hour. Its main parts are a piece of 3mm angle iron and a suitable strap of steel which I welded together. The inside of the strip has a welded captive nut in the centre so a grub screw connects it to the mounting block. This in turn is screwed onto a plate that is then secured on the top slide of my Myford lathe (refurbishment was covered on this forum - cant seem to get the links button to work. The only adjustment made when tried out was to reduce the height of the block as for my height and comfort I needed to have it a little lower.

A visit to a local tool store saw me come away with the three turning tools recommended on the Axminster site (see their pen turning video) namely a gouge, skew and parting tool. These were not expensive (in case it didn't work) and in use it has gotten me to think that not all wood is 'orible. Indeed I would love to have a go at turning a bowl or something later on and as those who have read some of my posts before know, I HATE wood. Well, until recently that is.

Now armed with all the bits, it was a matter of trial and error. I was expecting to have a few failures at first and that's why Initially only bought two kits. The results I got with the first two however were very good. Surprisingly so! I don't put this down in any way to my skill levels, rather the bits and pieces bought to do the job and their online video, worth a look in anyhow.

My only 'failure' came when I got over confident and it has a top section slightly too long and whilst it works, it needs the clicking part to be depressed a little more than it should do....but I don't care because its in my pocket now....and it mine! One other little nugget is the refills are all the standard and easily available ones.....

So after the first two pens were done I ordered more pens, then ordered a couple of fountain pen kits (they are more expensive but the quality is as good as the others) and now can't stop making the things, its very addictive so beware! I have been asked to make a pen and pencil set and now am worried that this addiction doesn't take over my life. I have had to ration myself now by saying I will only make a pen AFTER I have done my 'other' engineering work, namely the pair of Seals I am building............so beware if your tempted....you could become the new Parker, or ....................

Photos tell the story better..................

The tool rest....

100_3194.jpg

The first order of 'bits'........................

100_3201.jpg

Made a small work bench thingy to keep the bits together..........you can tell I hate normal woodwork.......

100_3204.jpg

The first pen blank on the 'new' rest....................

100_3216.jpg

Getting there..............

100_3218.jpg

The constituent parts....................

100_3189.jpg

The finished article and the one given to my local scrap yard contact.......................

100_3190.jpg

Finally where I have gotten to so far....................................

100_3383.jpg

Cool.
I've often looked at those pen kits and thought 'One day'.
You got some nice results there.
Now you need to try those pen kits that come with exotic wood, or better still find your own wood to make a pen.

Those are really nice,
I was surfing the tube a while back and found this
[youtube=425,350]Y9uQv5sKibk[/youtube]
-B-

Yes, that's impressive video. Something to aspire to. I have had a go at wood and am waiting for some finishing polish. Will let you have a picture of the finished item but this is how far I have gotten. I am looking out for some exotic wood now..ebony? perhaps the wood people would advise me.

I have included the pen box as well. It really is nice.

100_3308.JPG

100_3311.JPG

100_3276.JPG

100_3276.JPG

I knew the more I hung around the more I would want to make one.
I have an old veri tap transformer and motor I wasnt sure what to do with.
I guess it could be a variable speed small wood turning lathe.
-B-

My screwdriver handle is made of Cocobolo. It has great grain patterns and color.

black85vette said:
My screwdriver handle is made of Cocobolo. It has great grain patterns and color.
Where does that come from?
-B-
never mind I found it.

Great work there! cocobolo comes from Costa-Rica and is a type of rosewood (Dalbegia species ,called rosewood because when you cut it, smells like roses) it's one of my favorite woods!, beautiful to turn, almost like brass, other nice woods to use for pens, knife handles etc. are ebony, boxwood, kingwood, tulipwood (sometimes called bois de rose) and zebrawood, also olivewood is a joy to turn and very decorative, musical instrument suppliers are often good for small bits, in the UK Axminster tools have a reasonable selection of bits specially for pens among other sizes and do mail order, Yandles at Martock, Somerset also have a fairly large selection of exotic woods, try googling them as I'm not sure if they have a website.

Giles.

Thanks Giles for the leads. I couldn't see the wood for the trees (sorry :'( ) I knew Axminster did the woods! However its great to get feedback on the types to go for.

I have seen Cocobolo. and wondered how it would turn so I may try and get some to play with. A set of ebony and a white would may make a nice contrasting set....any ideas on a white wood?

thanks for all the feedback..........

Sorry! I'd forgotten about Holly, which is in fact the whitest and very dense, almost like boxwood but whiter!, I don't know about American holly but I imagine that it must be very similar, if you have a holly tree near you, you can cut off a branch 1,1/2"-2" in diameter, cut to 6" lengths ,peel off the bark and put it in the microwave at medium for about 5 minutes, let it rest until it's cooled and repeat 3 or 4 times, then it should be dry enough to use, avoid the core and you should get some nice bits for your pens. To finish holly you're best off putting on a cellulose sanding sealer before any other polish as any oil based finish will tend to yellow the wood but cellulose will retain the natural colour of any wood without darkening, carnauba wax goes very well over the sanding sealer but you need to get the hang of using it and practice a bit!

Maple is a king among woods (although tending towards a yellowy orange) as is English Sycamore (whiter but softer than maple)but if you want to get the bits really white you can bleach them with 40% by volume h2o2 (hydrogen peroxide) and a few drops of ammonia just brushed on before the final sanding and finishing and left to evaporate, you'll get the effect that I think you're looking for!, this also helps to stabilize the wood in small sections.

Giles

When I first got my mini lathe IIRC about 10 years ago I started with making pen and pencil kits. That was what I did for Christmas presents for most of the family.
I had a good source of cherry at the time a good freind gave me a good sizes piece of mahogany and walnut.I also had good source of corian in several colors. I still have a decent stock of materials I collected.

woodcraft currently has there 5 lb bag of assorted pen blanks on sale
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2004112/22006/5lb-Pen-Blank-Grab-Bag.aspx

IIRc making a comment about polish for wood . I used mostly french polish a home brew of 1/3 shellac 1/3 linseed oil and 1/3 denatured alcohol . I guess everclear would work too if you had it on hand.
Tin

Many thanks Tony, Dave, Giles and Tin, there are a few good sources mentioned so many thanks. I must admit I didn't know there was such an industry out there for pen making!

MM

Many thanks John T. When you start as a model engineer little do you know how many different aspects there are open to you! the trouble is the time to do 'extra' things justice. All I know is pen making is very, very therapeutic to me.

I blame you and this thread fully Metal Mickey for my latest purchase.
pens.jpg

I'm also keeping an eye out for a second hand bench wood turning lathe now.........

Back