Chinese Vertical Hit and Miss

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to this thread, I went off looking for liquid WD-40.

WD-40 has now joined the companies who put their name on a hundred different formulations but call everything WD-40, just saying it's a special formula for something or other, which means it's not plain old WD-40. Even 3 in 1 oil comes up under "WD-40 Liquid." There's one can that appears to be plain old WD-40, a gallon size can, which has got to be a lifetime supply for most of us.

If I'm putting a couple ounces of Coleman fuel in my gas tank, I sure don't need much. Are there smaller cans?

I do not have the vertical model but i have purchased several of the horizontal ones by same builder. They are all supposed to be tested pre shipping but i suppose a few may slip through the cracks. They are well built for the price and run very well. however the biggest problem i have encountered so far is the way the flywheels are held to the shaft with only a simple set screw. there is no gib or even a slight indention in the shaft for the set screw to recess into. So it is only a matter of time before the set screw becomes loose enough for the flywheels spin on the shaft. by the time this happens the set screw will have already "chewed up" the shaft which can make getting the flywheel off the shaft a problem. To remedy this problem the flywheels need to be taken loose and shaft needs to be filed down or drilled so the set screws have something to hold onto.

Concerning making it run slower, this can be achieved by putting lighter springs on the governor

I have one turning a 1 pint, white mountain ice cream freezer and it gets a lot of attention!

hope this helps

(in this pic the belt is not connected. there is a 3/1 gear-down ratio on the belt side and another 6/1 gear-down ratio on the chain side which gives it a total gear-down ratio of 18/1 so it has plenty of power to actually freeze a batch of ice cream)
View attachment 119609
Where did you order your hit miss engine and 1 paint ice cream mixer from. Can you put A link in the description? Soooooo cool 😁. Got to order me one just to mess with people.

I have also run my hit n miss on a mixture of Coleman fuel with 10% WD -40. Instead of buying a large container I just buy a large spray can and spray what I need into my measuring cup. Burns clean and does not stink like gasoline. The valves, head and spark plug stay clean. The only problem I had is once I mistakenly used the camp fuel straight. Almost seized my engine.
Mike

So, does anyone know where he brought the 1 paint ice cream mixer at?

I did some research on that. He called it a White Mountain junior ice cream freezer and they really are 1 pint makers. Apparently they were a special release, something like an anniversary of the ice cream freezer, back in the 1980s and they're not made any more. White Mountain is still there:
https://www.whitemountainproducts.com/but the "junior" model isn't.

There are spare parts on eBay and a couple of used ones; one at $300 and one that doesn't look as "like new" for half that.

Hope that's useful.

Personally, I use an electric one that doesn't look easily converted to internal combustion engine drive and makes up to 1-1/2 quarts at a time.

I did some research on that. He called it a White Mountain junior ice cream freezer and they really are 1 pint makers. Apparently they were a special release, something like an anniversary of the ice cream freezer, back in the 1980s and they're not made any more. White Mountain is still there:
https://www.whitemountainproducts.com/but the "junior" model isn't.

There are spare parts on eBay and a couple of used ones; one at $300 and one that doesn't look as "like new" for half that.

Hope that's useful.

Personally, I use an electric one that doesn't look easily converted to internal combustion engine drive and makes up to 1-1/2 quarts at a time.
Yep, did the same and found out. LOL see the prices on some of them though. $400 plus dollars for one in good shape, $125 for one in bad shape. Think I will pass on my idea after all way to expensive.

I seem to remember that a few years ago someone was selling castings to make an ice cream freezer to be driven by a model engine. I'll spend a few minutes looking back to see if I can find a reference to it. If I don't post in this thread I couldn't find it.

Does anyone else remember?

--ShopShoe

While I find many uses for WD40, I have learned through the years not to count on it as a long term lubricant or rust preventative. As I understand it (which may not be much, so take this with a grain or six of salt!), part of what makes it work so well to remove rust and ease sticking parts is the high amount of solvent - but then the solvent evaporates, and you need something else to provide the long-term lubrication or rust prevention.

Again, I disclaim that this represents my own experience and reading, and should be taken with salt. Except, don't add salt to your WD40 - that might encourage rust rather than remove it!

It makes a great tapping lubricant especially on difficult stainless steel which work hardens by just looking at it!

Some interesting facts on WD40 for those interested.
P. S. The basic ingredient is FISH OIL.
DavidB
Never knew it contained FISH OIL.... - Not mentioned on the SAFETY DATA SHEET:
1 Chemical characterisation: Organic mixture of highly refined mineral oil distillates of special composition, which repels moisture, prevents corrosion, cleans and lubricates.

2 COMPOSITION The product contains the following materials:
CAS No % Weight EC Number Symbol R-Phrases
NAPHTHA (PETROLEUM), 64742-48-9 67% 649-327-00-6 -- R10 R66
HYDROTREATED HEAVY MINERAL OIL 64742-65-0 21% 265-169-7 -- --
CARBON DIOXIDE 124-38-9 2-3% N/A

I guess the NAPTHA is the active ingredient that makes it a good cleaner...
No mention of FISH OIL?
The CO2 is just the aerosol propellant.

Incidentally, I watched a Breakdown Mechanic - who was helping a guy get going - when he liberally sprayed the engine compartment (hot) on a car where the sparks were going everywhere in the wet from the rain and salty roads... The WD40 instantly flashed and set fire to the engine bay - after which the mechanic rapidly got his fire extinguisher and sprayed the engine compartment with that. - The engine was running by then - for a short while until the sparks flew everywhere again! So after stopping the game, the mechanic ended-up towing the car - because of all the fire damage....
Read this bit: (The Mechanic didn't!).

Flash point: Tag open cup 44° Celsius (minimum) - Not as hot as Starbucks fresh brew!! So "Please" only spray COLD cars with it.
I can understand that, with such a low flash-point, a small drop in your model engine fuel will make a big difference to good ignition - hence smooth running?

Cheers!
K2

Flash point: Tag open cup 44° Celsius (minimum) - Not as hot as Starbucks fresh brew!! So "Please" only spray COLD cars with it.
I can understand that, with such a low flash-point, a small drop in your model engine fuel will make a big difference to good ignition - hence smooth running?

I'm not sure that flash point has much to do with combustion performance (and my intuition, which is often wrong, suggests WD40 wouldn't burn all that well compared to petrol/gasoline). Anyhow, petrol/gasoline has a flash point around negative 40° Celsius so if flash point==combustability then the WD40 would be harming combustion.

I believe it's only used as a smidge of lubricant and to potentially leave a film of corrosion resistance on the engine internals. There are better after-run oils though, and I wouldn't trust it to protect for extended periods of time.

I'm not sure that flash point has much to do with combustion performance (and my intuition, which is often wrong, suggests WD40 wouldn't burn all that well compared to petrol/gasoline). Anyhow, petrol/gasoline has a flash point around negative 40° Celsius so if flash point==combustability then the WD40 would be harming combustion.

I believe it's only used as a smidge of lubricant and to potentially leave a film of corrosion resistance on the engine internals. There are better after-run oils though, and I wouldn't trust it to protect for extended periods of time.
iT might also gum up after a while. Would not know unless one tests it.

Barely any running so far. I've been tied up with real life a lot lately. I have a friend (just the one!) who has the horizontal version and he's had that running for hours at a time without any noticeable loss of compression. He does put a few drops of oil in his fuel to keep it lubricated.

Barely any running so far. I've been tied up with real life a lot lately. I have a friend (just the one!) who has the horizontal version and he's had that running for hours at a time without any noticeable loss of compression. He does put a few drops of oil in his fuel to keep it lubricated.
If you pay me enough, I'll be your second friend.

Latest posts

Back