Chinese model engine problem

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodue

Project of the Month Winner!
Reaction score
Has any one had any problems with their ignition I received the engine installed the battery's and it worked on test I set it back. when I added fuel I get no spark out of the system

IMG_1200.JPG
this is their up right model

Has any one had any problems with their ignition I received the engine installed the battery's and it worked on test I set it back. when I added fuel I get no spark out of the system

Happened to me with the horizontal version. The Hall effect sensor was shot. When I traced all wires also found insulation cracks which could have cause spurious electrical issues.

chinese engines are most of time a crap if u want to run it over 50% throttle
i buy like 20 now for planes and only 1 from tw work kinda ok same size one from turkey work for 15 flights no problems that one burn piston in 4th crashing plane ,rest chinese have heat problems that lock piston over 50% of power

View attachment 112707 this is their up right model

What is all the extra wiring you have running to the engine?

Hope you're not running off an external 12v battery or similar.

Notice original HT lead disconnected.
No ignition should be run with HT disconnected, quickest way to destroy any electronics.

Instructions are typical Chinese and mention 3 x AA cells to be fitted in the base box but then they say voltage rating is 3.7v.
Three AA dry cells are nominal 4.5v.

Was mention of ignition system failure due to overheating in one comment on Banggood.
Whether that was the correct failure diagnosis or not is another thing.

https://www.banggood.com/Eachine-ET...ne-Collection-p-1549664.html?cur_warehouse=CN

As for the 50% throttle claim above, just a load of cods wallop.
Once an engine lands in consumerland, no telling what conditions it can be subjected to.

Last edited:
What is all the extra wiring you have running to the engine?

Hope you're not running off an external 12v battery or similar.

Notice original HT lead disconnected.
No ignition should be run with HT disconnected, quickest way to destroy any electronics.

Instructions are typical Chinese and mention 3 x AA cells to be fitted in the base box but then they say voltage rating is 3.7v.
Three AA dry cells are nominal 4.5v.

Was mention of ignition system failure due to overheating in one comment on Banggood.
Whether that was the correct failure diagnosis or not is another thing.

https://www.banggood.com/Eachine-ET...ne-Collection-p-1549664.html?cur_warehouse=CN

As for the 50% throttle claim above, just a load of cods wallop.
Once an engine lands in consumerland, no telling what conditions it can be subjected to.

Ignition systems are best run from NiMh batteries because they can supply the higher currents required for a good spark. Three NiMh batteries would be nominally 3.6 volts. (hence the spec for 3.7 volts)
I agree. Don't ever run the ignition with the HV lead off. It's pretty much assured that the electronics will be blown.
Also don't use long flying clip leads (as shown). You want a short heavy ground from the engine block back to the battery. Otherwise the HV return current (from the spark plug) may find it easier to find a way back though your electronics (hall sensor).

I think you'll find the spec referring to 3.7v is commonly associated with nominal voltage of a lipo.

Agree with the 3 nicads however they are all but obsolete these days in many places.

I think you'll find the spec referring to 3.7v is commonly associated with nominal voltage of a lipo.

Agree with the 3 nicads however they are all but obsolete these days in many places.

An earlier post said the instructions mentioned three AA cells required. So a bit of confusion with the instructions voltage value of 3.7 vs the number of cells.
Nickle Metal Hydride batteries come in AA size and are more or less the current replacement for Nicads. Same voltage and a lot less trouble. Three would give you 3.6 nominally.
But for sure a single Lipo would work. They're a bit more trouble to charge properly though.

Latest posts

Back