Chinese Girl Machinist

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GE (at least the electrical division) is not doing so well these days, so I heard, thanks to some folks who got in their and ran it into the ground for short term profit.

Westinghouse turned into Eaton, and you can still buy products that are much like Westinghouse equipment, and probably a lot of them still use the old Westinghouse designs.

ABB is big in the worldwide transformer market, and no doubt some other markets.

I mainly deal with Eaton, since they give good support, and I guess are based in the US.

Square D makes a lot of electrical equipment, but Eaton has a wider selection of medium voltage gear, due to buying or merging with Westinghouse.

Westinghouse was the original 3-phase power distribution company, and employed Tesla, who came up with much of the 3-phase designs.
Most of the modern 3-phase power distribution systems used today are very much like the original Westinghouse 3-phase systems.

Westinghouse 3-phase was installed at Niagra Falls in 1896, and after that, nobody took DC power distribution seriously.

Henry Ford, due to his long friendship with Thomas Edison, equipped his plants at Piquette Ave, and then the huge Highland Park Complex, with only DC motors for every machine. I'm not sure if they put DC or alternating motors in when they built the Rouge complex. It cost him a LOT of money to do that, when most of U.S. industry had converted to AC power exclusively.

Edison made a LOT of money from his mate Henry....His old workshop is now an exhibit at the Greenfield museum.
Visit Greenfield Village in Dearborn, MI | The Henry Ford A nice place to visit next to the Ford test track at Dearborn... I had friends living there so it was a regular visit before they moved away.
I worked on Power Station busbars, so 4kV and a few KA are smaller than I regularly had on my desk. The nearest I managed was the starter busbars for the motor-generator sets at Dinorwic Power station. A stationary water turbine, connected to another to be used for pumping water up the mountain (pumped storage site) used my busbars at 18 kV and a lot of kA! to generate the slow AC increasing in frequency to synchronous speed while starting the second Motor/genset. When up to synchronous speed, the pump would be connected to the grid to use power from the nearby nuclear station, fed from the main 18kV busbars. 2 years of my life involved designing & building equipment for that place, now approaching end of life....(?) - not me, the turbine pump-gensets!
Dinorwig Power Station - Wikipedia
K2

Last edited:
I'm Chinese, it's hard to see female mechanical maintenance technicians in China, my job is ENGEL injection molding machine maintenance, but the salary is not high
Hello Peng. What is the average salary for manual machine workers (Lathe, Mill etc) and for CNC (Machine Center etc) workers in China.
Does that apply across the country or different areas have different pay scales?
best regards, Dubi

Hello Peng. What is the average salary for manual machine workers (Lathe, Mill etc) and for CNC (Machine Center etc) workers in China.
Does that apply across the country or different areas have different pay scales?
best regards, Dubi
Different regions have different pay grades, I am in Chengdu, China, the hometown of giant pandas. CNC operators here, the average monthly salary is about 8000RMB

Different regions have different pay grades, I am in Chengdu, China, the hometown of giant pandas. CNC operators here, the average monthly salary is about 8000RMB
Thank you very much for the information, most useful.

It appears to be pretty primative in that area, very hilly, house is somewhat primitive.
Edit: Upon futher viewing, it seems pretty modern. She drives a nice gas 3-wheeler (that I would like to have), and a local sawmill has a powered bandsaw. Sort of a mix of light industrial, and primitive moutainous terrain.
Those little 3-wheeled trucks are called tuk-tuks. Very common basic transportation in most of the third world.
There is a rather stark contrast between her somewhat primitive living conditions, and the polished and rather sophisticated videography, with nice drone shots of the area, etc. Someone has some pretty expensive video equipment, satellite uplink, video editing software, etc.
It is like a pro is doing the videography. This is not amateur stuff.
The videography is really good, especially in the later videos. The early ones are more basic, just a fixed camera. And her clothes have improved.
It is a pretty unique combination of interesting terrain, working under semi-primitive conditions, different culture, and movie star face.

Reality is always stranger than fiction, and if I had to guess, the "poor village girl" is probably from a wealthy family.
Many of the clothes she wears in the videos are brand new.
Most of this does seem to be her own work. She went to a trade school for hydropower, which is where she learned to rewind motor and generator armatures. She's not self-taught.

Her skills are clear. She's really good at armature rewinding. Her welding is so-so. She knows all the tricks for getting rusted things unstuck, from WD-40 to welding a broken screwdriver onto a broken bolt. She is an artist with an angle grinder. She makes parts by drawing a pattern on sheet metal, cutting out the pattern, welding the pieces together, and grinding everything smooth. Her electrical wiring needs more strain relief and gasketing, especially for wet location equipment. She sometimes will bash on ball bearing with a claw hammer to get them on a shaft. A wooden block in the middle would reduce bearing damage.

All those Diesel engines are of the same design, in different sizes. Classic design, rugged, simple, and repairable. Probably a design from the Mao era. You can buy one on Alibaba for about US$210. No pollution controls, so you can't use it in the US. "If you have fuel, air, and compression the engine will run", as is said of similar marine engines. She goes through a standard refurbishing drill on each engine, and then they work.

She's been written up in People's Daily, so the Party approves of her. But she doesn't seem to have been created for propaganda purposes. Other than having support for camera, editing, and laundry, she seems to be doing it herself. She's going through a lot of white sneakers and denim overalls. You can buy those in bulk cheaply in China. Her earliest videos show her slogging through water in dirty pants, so she's upgraded a bit over time.

I volunteer on a non-profit volunteer based ship museum. Many of the people who volunteer are in their 60s and 70s plus. I often marvel at their skill sets and not you couldn't find guys with these mechanical skills if you advertised.

Back