Chinese Cast Iron Flywheel

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Jerry

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I needed some extra mass to get the internal friction plates to engage and disengage quickly on this one-way clutch. Aluminum wouldn't do it so I added a cast iron rim. It added enough inertia to make the clutch work nicely and in that respect it is acting as a flywheel.

fingerclutchrim023.jpg

I stumbled on this source of cast iron while walking through Lowes. They thought it was a 1 1/4" pipe cap but that's not what it looked like to me. This is a nice working cast iron that turns like butter... well very gritty butter. I found no voids or sand holes. The outer dimension is just under 2" and finished to 1.88". The ID has a tapered pipe thread but that bored out easily and left a nicely finished 5/16" thick ring that is 3/8" wide.

Before mounting in the lathe, I took the spanner lugs off on the bench grinder and turned the cap end. This end is fairly thin, particularly on the end so I faced off the end cap and then used a boring bar to clean up the inside. The OD was just reduced to a fair surface so I could reverse the piece in the chuck and get to the rim.

fingerclutchrim022.jpg

I posted this here because I think a convenient source of cast Iron is of general interest and the finger engine thread where I posted the one-way clutch isn't getting much action. There was a bin for 1 1/2" fittings but no stock. The solid square lug on the end of the pipe plug fittings will yield some useful material. I checked out Home Depot's plumbing section and the stuff there is galvanized cast steel, not the same thing at all.

Jerry

Back