Checklist needed

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwsvandr

Reaction score
I had my mill/drill machine for 4 months and had just spent 40.00 for a "good" 3/4 end mill and was anxious to try it out. I had the part securely fastened in the vice. The end mill tightened in the collet and I was ready. I brought the part up to the endmill and there was a bunch of clanking and all sorts of noise. I hit the stop switch and accessed the damage. The endmill had about half of the flutes torn off. Where they went I really dont know but no blood was involved. Further assesment of the situation revealed that I had not tightened the nuts that hold the head to the column.... Have the end mill in a prominent place to remind me to check ALL the bolts/fasteners etc, take a second and then re-check them again

Ouch! Well, if you learned the lesson this time and don't relearn it over and over you will be OK.

You weren't cimb milling where you?
That lesson took me a $35 endmill to learn. :big:

Same as you I never found the parts that tore off the endmill.

No bodily fluids involved other than spoiling a pair of cotton shorts (commando? ewww!) :eek: :big: and it was a very good lesson learned indeed. When we take things for granted is when we tend to make such errors and accidents happen. Glad to hear that you were not injured but sorry to hear about the $40.

BC1
Jim

Just a thought but a 3/4" endmill in a mill/drill seems a bit large to me unless you are taking light cuts. Were you milling side of the block? What depth and how big of a bite? You can rip the flutes off of any endmill if you don't watch depth of cut and speed.

I have a J-Head bridgport and in all my projects I have never needed a 3/4" endmill. This includes fixing things around the house, Fixing fairly large stuff for other people, and all the models I've built.

Not trying to criticize. Just my opinion which is worth as much as it cost! ;D

It is amazing how quickly a machine tool will point out a minor mistake.
That is why safety glasses are so important for even a test run.

I'm glad there was no person injury!

Rick

I have a J-Head bridgport and in all my projects I have never needed a 3/4" endmill

I also have a J-head BP, plus a couple of 3/4" endmills. I have found several uses for them.

1) For milling larger pieces, the number of passes is reduced as the swath is larger on each pass.

2) As my largest drill bit is 1/2", I frequently use the 3/4" endmill to enlarge a 1/2" hole prior to boring, as it saves passes with the boring head. Some day I need to buy a silver/deming drill set, but in the meantime this works.

Of course, I don't really "need" the 3/4 endmills but they're nice to have once in a while.

kvom said:
I also have a J-head BP, plus a couple of 3/4" endmills. I have found several uses for them.

1) For milling larger pieces, the number of passes is reduced as the swath is larger on each pass.

2) As my largest drill bit is 1/2", I frequently use the 3/4" endmill to enlarge a 1/2" hole prior to boring, as it saves passes with the boring head. Some day I need to buy a silver/deming drill set, but in the meantime this works.

Of course, I don't really "need" the 3/4 endmills but they're nice to have once in a while.
Same here, though most of my 'big' EM's are 5/8". Beggars can't be choosers and this is what I can get lightly used occasionally for a beer or two ;D ;D

They get used mostly for basic milling tasks-- cutting stock down to size and making holes for the boring head (very useful as my biggest drill is 1/2"). They flex very little and the ones I get mostly have chamfered or rounded corners, so leave a nice finish.

Don't _need_ 'em, but they're nice to have sometimes.

Back