Checking in from Central California

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wframe

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am a newbe from Clovis California. About five months ago, I was given an old Jet 1024 lathe that had a number of problems. I have been working through them getting it sorted out. It is to the point were it will now work although it is missing the quill/sleeve for the tail stock, so I cannot do any center drilling or work between center yet.

Two weeks ago, I got the last piece working and decided I needed a project that used the lathe. I have always wanted to build a "steam" engine so I went searching the internet. I came across the EZ Engine link and was hooked.

I have marked, cut and drilled the chassis, valve block, and cylinder block, tapped some of the holes and now have these parts assembled. I am waiting for the 1/2 and 1/4 brass round stock to arrive so I can work on the piston and valve. My next step will be to turn the flywheel form a 3 1/2 round scrap I found at my local recycle center (along with 5/16 plate and 3/4 stock that I am using for the chassis and the cylinder & valve blocks).

I have worked in Information Technology all my life. I have done woodworking at moderate level most of my adult life as well as playing with cars and motorcycles and grandkids. I don't know how involved I am going to get in the model engine building hobby, but having the lathe certainly makes it a viable hobby.

Thanks for the great plans and write-up on the EZ engine. I am looking forward to having the engine sitting on my desk . I am planning on hooking a can of Badger Propel to it so hopefully I can have it run while sitting there.

Welcome to the forum. Lots of help here if you get stuck along the way. Love to see some pics of your profile when you get time.

Welcome to the forum. Be prepared to purchase more auxiliary tooling as your projects "mature". I've found Craigslist to be a good source and don't be afraid of Harbor Freight. If your budget allows, a decent mill would be a great addition.
Keep us posted and enjoy.
Russ

Latest posts

Back