Charity Shop Beam Engine.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi David,

Tony, do you have any video of engine running?

Alas no; as I mentioned the engine ran but not well and a start was made to try and improve this by stopping the leakage on the valve by reducing the area that the pressure can act on.

The disc was soldered to the valve.

Next the throw of the eccentric will be reduced.

Regards Tony.

Hi,

The eccentric throw has been reduced from 16 mm to 10 mm by plugging the hole and re-drilling when found to be OK it was bushed.

The engine is now finished and running a video to follow.

The next charity shop effort is a bit more mundane fitting a battery powered chassis to a Peppa Pig plastic toy to entertain children on the CMES's garden railway.

I won't bother you with a build log.

Regards Tony.

I think that turned out very well. I still think you are the tops at seeing the potential of objects the rest of us walk by everyday.

Thank You for posting,

--ShopShoe

Tony,
Yet another incredible piece of work. You should display it at some art show that features mechanical subjects. Thanks again for sharing your incredible inventive ability.

DW

p.s. would like to see the results of your Peppa Pig project.

Hi,

I tweaked the valve timing by making perspex version of it which showed that the eccentric rod needed to be a little longer which was done.

The engine now has a more even beat.

Regards Tony.

Tony,

I am glad to see this posted as it provides a way to start conversations with people outside our usual community and encourages people to think outside the box. It provides good public relations at an event like you're showing and will hopefully generate more interest in what you and the rest of us are doing.

I think it always helps to promote the idea that engineers, craftspeople, and modelers can and do use both sides of our brains.

A little bit of whimsey is always welcome as well.

--ShopShoe

Latest posts

Back