Charity Shop Beam Engine.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

Summers over! South Wales is back to where it often is; overcast, windy with light rain, at least the shed is back to a comfortable 20C.

Today the connecting rods big end was finished, it is more or less the same as the small end of the crank shaft connecting rod but a little shorter. It was finished in the same way by milling followed by sawing and filing to buttons and some oil pots were fitted.

A couple of thin lock nuts with 1/4"x 40 threads are required to lock the big and small ends of the connecting rod in place. As I had no suitable hexagonal steel in stock a couple of 2 BA steel nuts were used. A piece of 2 BA thread held in the tail stock was used to position the nut in the 3 jaw chuck. When secured the nut was drilled to the tapping size, then it was tapped using a tap secured in the tail stock, when complete the nut was left on the tap which allowed the nut to be positioned so it could be thinned down. With the tap removed the nut was faced to size.

Regards Tony.

Hi,

The project hasn't stalled yet! I have been busy with other things. I did do a bit on the connection between the piston rod and the beam. This probably won't be used but will allow measurements to be made.

I will possibly get some more done later in the week.

Regards Tony.

Hi,

With the wonderful weather we have had today in Old South Wales I couldn't do what I intended to do, so I spent some time in the shed playing.
The piston rod is now connected to the beam and even goes up and down! I hope the photographs show how this was achieved, any questions please ask.

A slot was milled.

A shellac chuck was used to thin down some brass

Coupling rod finished.

End of play.

I still haven't decided on what valve gear will be used yet and as the next couple of weeks will be taken up exhibiting and going to exhibitions it seems like a good time to leave the engine for a bit. *To that end the cylinder is temporally secured using its lower gland nut as the orientation of the cylinder will *be decide by the valve gear.

Regards Tony.

Hi,

I had intended to finish working on the model for a bit. However sat sitting looking at the model I thought the small end of the connecting rod looked a bit big/heavy. It had been made the same size as the square on the bottom of the big end.

So I decided to thin it down a bit, in fact 1.5 mm (1/16") either side.

Back on the model.

Well I think it looks better. Now I have really finished for a bit though this morning I had to take our camper van over the mountain to Caerphilly for repair, while waiting and having a walk around the town looking in the charity shops for model elephants (don't ask) I found a pair of brass candle sticks that look as if they might become part of the valve gear. They cost £2, so that's the end of my allowance for the week.

Regards Tony.

Hi Tony, where do you get your shellac from? Great work by the way :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Hi,

Hi Tony, where do you get your shellac from?

Sorry for the late reply we have been away for a few days, I get the shellac from a Horological supply company, here in the UK I use cousinsuk.com it comes in stick form.

Regards Tony.

Hi Tony,

I love what you did with the old cannon. And how you recycle/repurpose bits and pieces.

What is the wire cutter? Is it hand held or mechanical?

Cheers Ben.

Hi Ben,

What is the wire cutter? Is it hand held or mechanical?

I am sorry I don't know what you are referring to, is it in this thread?

Regards Tony.

Hi,

I think he's referring to your coping saw.

Thanks, I see what you mean. The answer then is: a hand held Piercing Saw also know as a Jeweller's Saw using an 0/3 blade.

Regards Tony.

Tony, as a newbie to building engines i am inspired by your progress so far. I would rather see a build such as yours than one from a kit . There is a app called Pinterest that has pictures of anything but my wife and i follow steam engine ones, and the best are usually scratch built like yours. Were about done setting up a small shop are are ready to build our first one. Still deciding on what to make first. Your ideas will help future inspirations. Thanks for the posts. Dave and Tammy

Hi,

I decided it was time to do a little more on the beam engine so I made a start today. Nothing has come up that I could make an eccentric from to operate the valve gear so I had to resort to steel stock to make it.

I did find a short length of large hexagonal brass to make the eccentirc sheaf from.

After sawing off a piece it was drilled and bored to take the eccentric made.

This created rather a lot of swarf.

As already mentioned I had spent my whole weekly allowance of £2 on a pair of brass candlesticks, one of which was used for the eccentric rod.

The stem of the candle stick was machined to fit the eccentric sheaf.

The result when attached to the sheaf.

It is now crunch time I have to design some sort of valve gear and I have a maximum of a 20 mm (big 3/4") throw to play with.

So I will have to find a pencil and do some sums after I decide which type of valve gear to use.

Regards Tony.

Hi Tammy and Dave,

As a newbie to building engines I am inspired by your progress so far. I would rather see a build such as yours than one from a kit . There is a app called Pinterest that has pictures of anything but my wife and I follow steam engine ones, and the best are usually scratch built like yours. Were about done setting up a small shop are are ready to build our first one. Still deciding on what to make first. Your ideas will help future inspirations. Thanks for the posts.

I am glad you enjoy my efforts. I look forward to see what you decide on for your first project. If I can be of any help please ask

Regards Tony.

Tony, again I just love your inspiration and ability to pull it off. You are a great teacher! Many thanks for sharing. I also love your video and photo graphics - that is an art in itself.

This is an outstanding project. I love your ability to take all these seemingly unrelated parts and put them together as if they were meant to be. Good work! :thumbup:

Latest posts

Back