Challenger V8 questions.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seadragonfoundry

Reaction score
I have just managed to get my Challenger V8 to the running stage but have a few questions that those who have gone before me may be able to help me with.
I have built it to the plans, that is, without oil rings and when viewed from the front of the engine the left bank of cylinders is smoky when running, (clockwise rotation).Does this decrease as the rings bed in ? or should I go straight to plan B and fit oil rings?
I am using a 5 mm model aero carburettor with single mixture control at present which does the job but I feel could be a lot better, any advice on carburettors for this engine would be most appreciated.

How were the rings made in the first place? Might just be a ring that didn't pass QC. Also too, the left bank takes the brunt of the splash so the left side rings have to work twice as hard. I would run the engine a few more times and see if it improves before a complete tear down.

Thanks for your comments. The build notes that came with the castings mentions the possibility of one bank being smoky and suggests that a reduction in oil pump size may help however I'm not really keen on that path. It has had very minimal run time and I suspect that the rings have not bedded in yet. I reduced the oil level and ran it some more today, no cooling system yet, so short runs. It is idling a bit better and smoking less so your suggestions have helped. My first V8 and I think I was expecting too much too soon. Forgot the lessons learnt in engines past! Bedding in time very important. Many thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Graeme!
Great that you are back working on it!
Regards
Mark

Back