Challenger V8 or alternative?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seadragonfoundry

Reaction score
I have recently completed a pair of Hoglets and a Holt engine. I have a few smaller builds in front of me before the next major project and I have been thinking of a V8 engine along the lines of the Challenger. I would be most interested to hear from any builders who have built the engine or buyers who have bought the castings from Coles Power Models as to the quality of the castings and plans, difficulties encountered or anything really that will help guide me forward. I have watched Ron Colonna's magnificent engine on youtube and note that he rebuilt the engine with aluminium con rods, elsewhere I have picked up that stressproof 1144 steel is the way to go for the crank. I believe Steve Hucks produces plans for a V8 also, my only reservation there is that it is 5/8" bore, a smaller engine that I am not sure I have the skill to work to. The Holt was about as small as I am comfortable with. All information gratefully received, is there an alternative to the Challenger that is better resourced perhaps?

Further to the above, I have purchased an abandoned project for a Challenger engine which has been completed to a high standard so far. I have a number of smaller less interesting engines to complete first, very much looking forward to this new project.

Am after a challenger to if you know of any for sale! Did you get yours finished?
Regards
Mark

I have kits for Black Widow V-8 as well as a full 1/4 scale '32 Ford Roadster body, quick change rear, trans, and more. If anyone is interested feel free to PM me. Thanks!

Mark,
It is almost finished, needs a carburettor and some tweaking to get it running. Have put it to one side for the moment to work on a Forest and Gallice from Lone Star Engines.it was a lot of fun to build. Do Coles Power Models still sell them?
Cheers
Graeme
It appears I am well behind the times, I see now that Coles are closing as well.

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great! Yes Coles seem to have gone! Would definitely but a set of castings or abandoned build if I can find one!! Anyone???

regards
Mark

Latest posts

Back