Challenger V8 Carburettor

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seadragonfoundry

Reaction score
I am well on my way building the Challenger, however I have no information regarding a suitable carby for this engine. I am wondering if someone who has gone before me can help, please?
Also, if the fuel tank is located under the engine, I will need a lift pump to raise the fuel to the carby , hopefully without flooding it.All suggestions gratefully received! Thanks.

IMG_2966.jpg

IMG_2967.jpg

IMG_3007.jpg

IMG_3033.jpg

Most of the fellows I've met who built and run this engine use an electric automotive fuel pump (low pressure, 2-3lbs) to pump the fuel to the carb. This also necessitates using a modified carburetor like the ones used on small 2 cycle implements, weed eaters etc. I do know one fellow who has a small pump on his fuel tank, much similar to the ones on camp stoves. He gives it a couple of pumps just to prime the system and then the carb and engine vacuum continue to draw the fuel. While it's nice to have everything contained in the box under the engine personally I would forgo the pumps, batteries etc. and just use a plain carb (air bleed type) with a remote fuel tank. It can be quickly attached for running and removed for storage. I do this with several of my engines and it works out quite well.
My miniature 302 v-8 engine runs with an air bleed type carb and it performs very well. I have copied the air bleed internals into something that looks like the full sized carb.
https://youtu.be/fRVYYtdhG_8

302 carb 1.jpg

302 carb 2.jpg

302 carb 3.jpg

302 carb 4.jpg

302 carb 5.jpg

302 carb 6.jpg

While looking at your pictures it looks like the curve on the fan blades is going the wrong way. The engine should turn clockwise from the front which means your fan will be blowing air back through the rad.
gbritnell

Hello George, you are correct , I stuffed up with the fan blade angle and I should have known better than to put the photo up on this forum and not have it noticed. Thank you for your advice , I will use a small fuel tank close to the carb and forget pumps etc. you sent me plans for the carby for the Holt and it worked a treat so I will see how I can disguise it, I am guessing it will work just as well. Thanks again for your help.

Back