Cfellows plans wanted

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone used or built the Colyer/Caseley CUTTER GRINDER ? How does it differ from the bonelle , Quorn, tinker, H.Hall ?

Apa r t from the Hall which could be attributes to all sorts of model engineers, the Quorn and subsequent 'clones' are attributed to the German Deckel which was essentially for producing engraving cutters.

I could go back to the works of Holzapffel who was. responsible for Ornamental Turning Lathes and along with Maudsle y and co, screwcutting which opened up the Industrial Revolution which followed the 4th Agrarian Revolution which - for me , followed the Bronze Age. All before my time but tremendous fun doing things like Megalithic Yards and Cup and Ring markings and, of course, keeping company with skeletons and -- all to do with grinding!
It's all been done- before. Even Leonardo Da Vinci got involved in military weaponry in the Middle Ages.

It's now freezing in Newcastle upon Tyne, too cold in the workshop and really the invitations to keep swopping into morning dress and evening dress and consume large quantities of Christmas, then New Year, then Burns Suppers and finally Chinese New Year is far to tempting.
So between large offerings of food and alcohol I have done little serious work but have sought to find 'a cheap' solution to tool grinding. frankly, Chuck Fellows excellent contribution to tool grinding simply does not exist anymore. I've spent a whole morning with a headache from too much Chinese banquet, too much wine and far too much whisky but nothing more has turned up. Tonight it's evening dress and formal dinner yet again after a masonic evening.
So a simple fabrication of something simple. Years ago, I was one of these people who saw the hidden advantages of one of cheap and rather nasty Chinese 3 way vices utilising a cheap but not quite so nasty 6" double ended grinder was thought up and published by the late and much lamented John Stevenson in Nottingham. It works, I did a better hand scraping of the ways in the vice ways.
Today, with cheap and very good Chinese 7 x14 etc lathes it is possible to concoct a surface grinder which is really all that things like Clarksons, Stents, Brooks and whatever are. If you add a better three way little vice to the earlier idea, one has an extremely useful tool. I have a vice, a Clarkson and a fabricated Stent- and have tested it. I've got a SiegC4 lathe complete with a vertical but movable mill drill- nothing is impossible!

The other bright thing for people without a means of dividing and graduating is a mathematical formula of using the number 0.0088 to solve degrees on grinding wheels. One wants an angle of say 7 degrees which is a common requirement and say a 6" wheel. So the maths is :-

0.0088 X 7degrees x 6 inches. 0.3696" which is near 0.375" (3/8ths)or at a pinch a millimetre

It's a simple as that.

Back to carousing- and spending the Children's Inheritance.

Norman

Latest posts

Back