ceramic fiber tape/yarn for silver soldering?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crueby

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Getting started on the boiler for my Shay engine build, and in Kozo's book he uses a ceramic fiber yarn/tape to wrap around the boiler tubes to both hold in place and prevent overheating the tubes while silver soldering up the assembly.
I did some looking around, and cant find that material here (USA), at least for a price I dont fall over from. Is there another material (or another name to search for) that would do the same thing? Seems like there must be some material that welders use to wrap parts they want to protect? Seems like there must be something equivalent and easily available (I know, famous last words!).

I don't know if it will work for you but fiberglass is cheap and easy to find.

Not sure - melting point is a few hundred degrees above the solder. Most glass cloth has some other coatings though...

We used to use some stuff in the furnaces of a steel mill called Cerwool. commonly used in coal fired power plants also. not sure if you can find small amounts. Its tough stuff. You can play a flame right on it and it just glows. If you are close I have a small amount you can have.

"Kaowool" is the one we can get easily here as its sold for the use you suggest and also the actual insulation of the boiler on the engine. Should be able to google the name for a more local supplier but can be bought here

http://www.cupalloys.co.uk/brazing_ancillaries/

Thanks guys! th_wav

I did some searching around for those names, and found some 1/4" Kaowool rope at Controls Central, a HVAC supplier. Looks perfect for what I need. This forum came through yet again....

Latest posts

Back