Centroid Acorn is finally here!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DICKEYBIRD

Reaction score
I'm probably one of the few luddites on the board that is hasn't learned to use LinuxCNC so I was very happy to receive my Centroid Acorn kit last week. It's Centroid's entry into the hobbiest/student CNC market and is a great deal IMHO. It's a made in America, seriously capable board from a very established real-deal CNC company with tried & true control software that runs on Windows. It'll be some months before my new CNC mill project is finished & running the Acorn. If that goes well, I can't wait to get away from Mach3 on my lathe & put an Acorn on it. Woo Hoo, real encoder threading & true CSS!:eek:

http://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_diy/acorn_cnc_controller.html

There was a discussion about this on CNCZone in the section devoted to my mill type. Many owners want to move away from Mach3 and the solution most are following is Tormach's Path Pilot software which runs on Linux. Since we already have a working control, the only hardware component of the swap is a PC card from Mesa that replaces the SmoothStepper. Some number have also made the switch and provided the Linux config files.

I would consider the Acorn myself, but I don't have the inclination to build a box with the other necessary pieces.

I would consider the Acorn myself, but I don't have the inclination to build a box with the other necessary pieces.
There's really no extra space needed for an Acorn. It's about the size of a decent B.O.B. and its power supply is a very small 24vdc unit. All your I/O & stepper drive connections hook to screw terminals or a DB25 connector. If you have a semi-decent Win10 PC you plug in the Ethernet cable, download the software & go.

You have a Novakon NM-200 mill, correct? I'm not familiar with them but based on pics of it on the web there should be plenty of room.

I noticed this about a week ago when there as some sudden postings over on CNCZone. The only problem I have with Centroid is considerable lack of a good web site for something targeting the hobbits/student markets. Here I mean a public support forum specific to this device. Maybe they have one but it wasn't obvious on the web site. I know some would consider the to be a sad development but I do judge companies by their web sites. Frankly a public code repository for the board would be a big advance too.

By the way this board looks like it would be perfectly fine in a low end professional effort. Please keep us informed at to how this build goes. Being a totally brand new product, I hope there are few glitches you will have to navigate.

I'm probably one of the few luddites on the board that is hasn't learned to use LinuxCNC so I was very happy to receive my Centroid Acorn kit last week. It's Centroid's entry into the hobbiest/student CNC market and is a great deal IMHO. It's a made in America, seriously capable board from a very established real-deal CNC company with tried & true control software that runs on Windows. It'll be some months before my new CNC mill project is finished & running the Acorn. If that goes well, I can't wait to get away from Mach3 on my lathe & put an Acorn on it. Woo Hoo, real encoder threading & true CSS!:eek:

http://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_diy/acorn_cnc_controller.html

Latest posts

Back