CC's first attempt

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice chuff! It's looking really good CC and sounds the part too. What pressure are you running at in the video?

David

Very nice CC. The little engine I made will not run that slowly, and I really like the sound that your makes.---Brian

Cheers gang ...... it does feel good to put life into previously inanimate lumps of metal 8)

I've learnt a lot from this little engine ................ which may be useful for other newb's

1) I need to work on accuracy
2) I need to have a long hard look at work holding, particularly for the little mill with a view to milling/drilling angles
3) I need to read up much more on milling cutters and what does what ....... if anyone has a link to an "idiot's guide" ...... to get me going it would be appreciated
4) My polishing skills still leave a lot to be desired ;)

and 5) ......... I must sort out a manifold etc from the compressor ........ think I'll start a separate thread on that one

but most of all 6) ...... I have enjoyed it ;D ............ so for anyone dithering out there ....... just do it, if it don't work, keep at it ......... it's fun ;)

Ralph, no idea at present what the base will end up as, the little lump of 1/2" MS is doing a sterling job at the moment though :D ...........unfinished as it is :( .......... as you say "each to his own" .......... for me it's making it work, and looking ...... errrrrr tidy ... (ish) ::)

;) CC

PS: :p 7) Delrin might not be the best material to use for a cylinder / piston ............. but it works ...... at least for the short term, as for the long term :-X ......... ask me come Christmas.

Dave,

With you working in the building trade, you must come across a lot of steel electrical conduit, plus anything else up to scaffold tube size. These can all be used to make cylinders from.

Part of what model engineering is about, is recognising what things can be used for. Lots of things that are thrown away can be used for what we do. A bit of scaffold pipe cut in half lengthways and cleaned up a bit would make a nice engine stand that looks a bit different from the norm. Softwood offcuts, stained up and varnished can look great for bases.

So as you are walking around sites, pick up bits and pieces that look like they could be used, throw it away later if you find it is of no use. Almost everything has potential.

John

Bogstandard said:
recognising what things can be used for

:wall: dammit John ........... your right again ??? .............. OK eyes wide open in future .......... you wouldn't believe the amount of 1" steel conduit and cast iron drainpipe that's been consigned to the skip before now .... sod's law says however that the words "boat" and "missed" are currently prevalent in my horoscope ???

CC

Twinsquirrel said:
What pressure are you running at in the video?

David
I've now sorted out a regulated compressed air supply ............ at slow speed it's running a 17psi ......... according to my digital tyre pressure gauge (which is the most accurate way I have of measuring it).

Brian, Thank you :bow: ...... however I think it could do with just a little more "rort" ............. have you got any suggestions for a twin big bore exhaust ........... sort of "hot rod" style ;) ............. "Big Bore" of course is a relative term as the exhaust port is only 3/16" diameter ???

It's been chugging away merrily for the last couple of hours whilst I've been browsing and the only hiccup was because I forgot to turn on the compressor ::) ....... it even self starts if the piston is just starting the compression stroke :eek:

CC

I like that word "Rort". You may have coined a new word!!! For a crazier exhaust that MAY give a bit more "rort"--- how about a set of dual megaphones like a 2 stroke dirt bike? The only thing that immediately comes to mind ----I have seen some ballpoint pens with a thin brass body that could be reworked into a megaphone, with a little creative silver soldering. Probably a great deal of work for minimum "rort". My advise--Consider this first engine a learning experience. My first attemp is now given a place of honour on my mantle, and I have moved up to the next stage---A double acting wobbler, which is basically the same as you have, except it get steam at both ends of the stroke. This seems like an amazingly simple way to double the power without changing the bore and stroke.

Brian Rupnow said:
--- how about a set of dual megaphones like a 2 stroke dirt bike?

That's just the job ;D ............ however I believe your right Brian, I think a little bit of finishing and then move on ........... but I'll keep my eyes open for old ball point pens ...... there's no rush ;)

No idea at present what to tackle next, lots of things appeal but I'd best keep it simple at present ........ I'll have a browse and take it from there.

Thanks for all the support gang, much appreciated ;)

CC

Latest posts

Back