• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

castings - Paul Breisch Steam Hammer

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty Feldman

Reaction score
In overall appearance, this model is much like the the original, but smaller, model that appeared in The Model Engineer for June, 1899. It is believed to be based on the design of an 1895 Phoenix Steam Hammer. The Breisch design goes back over 30 years. Relatively few of these Breisch casting sets were produced, probably due to foundry issues and to the fact that although there was widespread interest in the model actual customers were few. Clarence Myers advertised castings for a while but no longer, and it was from him that I obtained mine. An attached photograph shows a completed Breisch hammer, painted black, in a side by side comparison with a steam hammer model, in green paint, that is more commonly seen, the Stuart Turner hammer, which is a noticeably smaller and somewhat simpler model.

For sale here are the castings for the Breisch hammer. The castings are shown boxed in a second photograph. There are two castings, the frame and the cylinder. They are of excellent quality. Minimal machining has been done on them to provide datum surfaces. A complete set of the orginal multiple plan sheets (sample in the third accompanying photograph) in fullsize and in very good, complete detail, typical of Breisch, is provided. There is some explanatory hand lettering, in pencil, on one sheet. Price: $200 plus shipping

The castings make up into a large, substantial working model, with a finished height of over 16 inches. Access to a lathe larger than a Myford, and a comparably sized mill, would be beneficial. To note when considering shipping is the fact that the weight is something over 30 pounds. I will ship in a wooden crate. The location of the castings if personal pickup is used is midcoast Maine. My personal email address is [email protected].

-Marty-

SteamHammersBreisch&S-T.JPG

SteamHammer_a.jpg

SteamHammer_c.jpg

This casting is sold. have the large casting, from a friend's esatate, I don't have the smaller casting, it was there in a separate location and I thought it was maybe part of a toy cannon so I didn't pick it up, it is most assuredly in a dumpster by now. that's kinda sad, but it is what it is. the casting itself (pictured below) was in great condition, but I live near the beach and it developed some surface rust while it sat around as I tried to figure out what I had. $100 seems fair - message me if interested. I think the missing piece can be mocked up out of wood or modeling clay and then cast from anything (aluminum, brass, plastic, iron) to comp;lete the model - of course it would be nicest if the original casting was there to make a mold from, but without it, use the picture upthread. I don't have the plans.

Attachments

• 20220625_211625.jpg
    20220625_211625.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 20220625_211634.jpg
    20220625_211634.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 20220625_211640.jpg
    20220625_211640.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Back