Casting tin parts in a sand mold

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xander janssen

Reaction score
Please find attached a manual that I wrote to describe the method I used for casting the tin crank case covers.

Regards,

Xander

Attachments

• Casting Tin in a sand mold.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 6
Awesome writeup !

Thanks for that.

Pat J.

Edit: I think I mentioned previously that while casting low-temperature-melting tin-based material makes the melting process quite a bit easier, casting aluminum does not require significantly much more heat than tin-based alloys (perhaps a little more heating time), and aluminum is significantly less expensive than the tin products.

Please find attached a manual that I wrote to describe the method I used for casting the tin crank case covers.

I used type metal to cast locomotive wheels from scrap pieces of cherry. Worked out well, very little flash . To remove the wheels from the wood, I made several cuts with a bandsaw and broke off the wood. I was going to fit 1/32" thick steel for tires on the wheels. Did not bother as my locomotive runs on air only. I spent too many hours trying to get the boiler done. Each time I thought a leak was fixed another popped up ,always in the firebox. Decided to run on air only as the frustration got to me. This was the A-1 Pennsylvania Switcher . I believe I paid $25.00 for 10 lbs of type metal in 2005.
mike

I cast mine in brass

DSCF6060.jpg

Dan.

Latest posts

Back