Casting partner/mentor needed

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chucketn

Senior Citizen
Reaction score

Anyone casting Aluminum within a 1 or 2 hour drive ofKingsport, TN? I would be willing to provide pigged aluminum and patterns forsomeone to help me cast parts.
I have a complete set of Gingery Shaper patterns (alreadyhave a Gingery Shaper). I want to make adividing head, and a steady rest for my mini lathe.

I have melted aluminum before, and assisted in casting a fewparts. There is no one close to me that casts metal. My former partner/mentormoved to Texas. I do not have safety equipment, furnace or crucible, and wouldnot be comfortable casting on my own yet.
Chuck

Hope you find someone close by. I occasionally fly to Memphis for business, but I don't think they will spring for my foundry as carry on luggage. :)

Anyone casting Aluminum within a 1 or 2 hour drive ofKingsport, TN? I would be willing to provide pigged aluminum and patterns forsomeone to help me cast parts.
I have a complete set of Gingery Shaper patterns (alreadyhave a Gingery Shaper). I want to make adividing head, and a steady rest for my mini lathe.

I have melted aluminum before, and assisted in casting a fewparts. There is no one close to me that casts metal. My former partner/mentormoved to Texas. I do not have safety equipment, furnace or crucible, and wouldnot be comfortable casting on my own yet.
Chuck

How is that Shaper holding up? I will most likely be building another real soon, but this time I will make it more "my design".
Good to know you are still around Chuck!

I'm in hickory NC. Over 2 hrs I think, but would be happy to work with you

Dave

Time to update my origional post on this thread. Since posting the origional request, I have met several like minded folks in my area. We've built furnaces and mullers, found sources of bentonite and refractory, and built burners. We're now building patterns to cast tools and engines... It's all good.

Chuck

I'm in hickory NC. Over 2 hrs I think, but would be happy to work with you

Dave

I appreciate the offer, Dave. As I posted in the update above, I have found a few like minded folks closer to me, but as you are not that far away and have much more experience, I just might arraigned a visit. Nice website, BTW.
Chuck

Brian, I sent you a PM. You back in TN?

Chuck

Yeah, can't seem to stay away from these "Hillbilly's" lol-----bought me a house so I plan on staying around this time!

Getting ready to build that Cupola too----I cast quite a bit of iron while I was in Texas--------I have all of the main components(+ or- a few)-----just hard to accomplish as a lone person though. I have the blower,100 lbs fire clay, grog, some fire bricks, blower, burner, and barrels for the outer skin--just need more fire bricks and a welding outfit would be nice and someone to light the fire under my arse to get me going--lol. Anyway, yeah!
I see you have moved up and got into making patterns and castings--cool beans!

I would definitely like to see your castings-I did see some of your patterns on here and they look great.
Yeah, we need to catch up!

I met this guy that was in the foundry business, but now retired, and I picked up on quite a few tips/tricks. Great guy! Grumpy as they come though! lol
Anyway, yeah we need to catch up!

Back