Casting molding boxes

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice job! I notice though you don't seem to have a channel or bead in the flasks, to stop the sand from loosening when moved? Or do you find you don't really need it?

I'm still on the lookout for a good furnace myself, but I do plan to make some similar ones from alu, although I'm thinking to make bolt together sides/ends to allow for different sized materials. I'm glad you put that up, as I was starting to wonder if I was over engineering making alu flasks, and should just make them cheap out of wood!

cheers, Ian

Nice job on getting those green sand cores to stay attached to the cope.

Burn marks on my flasks are testimony to Al not always staying in the place I intended to put it.
What happens with an Al flask? Does it stick to the flask and become a pain to get off, or does it stay unbonded?

Regards,

Jason H.

BTW - As an ex-Western Australian the crows in the background bring on waves of nostalgia :)

I find that I don't need the channel or bead as my sand is strong enough to stay in place. I started to go down that road bolting AL sides and ends but found it was quicker to make them out of wood. jasonh Do mean sand sticking to the sides? if so it is not a problem. If a mold leaks brass or bronze it can stick to the AL.

Latest posts

Back