• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Wanted Casting Kits

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fireguy976

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am recently retired and interested in building some casting kits.

I have a PMR "coke bottle" kit, but looking to have a few kits on the shelf for when its time to start machining.

Please contact me with what you have and the price.

However anything for sale will have to be shipped/mailed, unless you are located somewhat near Buffalo NY

Regards,
KJ

can be reached at

[email protected]

I think I have a few Cretors No.02 replica castings (not a complete kit), made from the original Cretors patterns by Bob Pearson.

The cylinder is an original Cretors unit.

The cylinder support has some blowholes in it.
Bob said he is having problems finding folks to make quality gray iron parts these days, and so I suspect this piece may have hard spots as well as blowholes.

I don't have a flywheel or any other parts other than what is shown.

I will never use these parts, and so I would sell them.

rIMG_6582.jpg
rIMG_6583.jpg
rIMG_6584.jpg
rIMG_6586.jpg
rIMG_6589.jpg
rIMG_6590.jpg

This is what an original Cretors No.02 looks like (this engine is not for sale).

I think the one below has a replica nameplate. It does not look original.

rCretors-Horiz-02.jpg

What type of casting kits are you looking for? Steam or internal combustion?

I have some old Stuart kits that I am selling. I can look at my list and see what I have.

Tim

Thank you all for your reply's,
as I am new to this I now realize I should have been more specific...

I am interested mostly in steam based engines.

However,,, I have a Huge interest of Any of the HIT and Miss combustion engines..

These kits would need to have complete plans, as I am new and need to follow a complete set of plans.

So the idea being along the lines of a Stuart Models kit, PM Research, etc. Hit and Miss, Beam engines, Walking Beam, Grasshopper just to name a few.

The "casted" pieces need to be all there, but some of the typical bar stock that would be used, does not have to be there as it is easily sourced and replaced.

Other items in kit form might be water pumps, generators,,,

In a nut shell,,,

the typical stationary engines you would see at a model engineering show where they would be hooked up to air and running for demonstration.

This may be run of the mill boring to some,
but I need to start somewhere.

If anyone have seen the YouTube channel "Blondiehacks" .. she started off with a small PM Research engine, a horizontal, cant remember the model number.

her videos have inspired me to roll up my sleeves and get started.

Thank you all so far for your reply's. This group seems to be very helpful, so Any and All ideas would be appreciated.
Any suggestions you wish to pass on would also be greatly appreciated.

Cheers all,

KJ

Thank you all for your reply's,
as I am new to this I now realize I should have been more specific...

I am interested mostly in steam based engines.

However,,, I have a Huge interest of Any of the HIT and Miss combustion engines..

These kits would need to have complete plans, as I am new and need to follow a complete set of plans.

So the idea being along the lines of a Stuart Models kit, PM Research, etc. Hit and Miss, Beam engines, Walking Beam, Grasshopper just to name a few.

The "casted" pieces need to be all there, but some of the typical bar stock that would be used, does not have to be there as it is easily sourced and replaced.

Other items in kit form might be water pumps, generators,,,

In a nut shell,,,

the typical stationary engines you would see at a model engineering show where they would be hooked up to air and running for demonstration.

This may be run of the mill boring to some,
but I need to start somewhere.

If anyone have seen the YouTube channel "Blondiehacks" .. she started off with a small PM Research engine, a horizontal, cant remember the model number.

her videos have inspired me to roll up my sleeves and get started.

Thank you all so far for your reply's. This group seems to be very helpful, so Any and All ideas would be appreciated.
Any suggestions you wish to pass on would also be greatly appreciated.

Cheers all,

KJ
KJ,
re. the Blondihacks video, Joe Pi did that engine too. Two different creators, two different approaches. BH is hobbyists, "this is what I did and this is how I fixed it " whereas JP is master machinist, " this is how I do it ".
Lessons in both vids.

John 🇨🇦

Some of the Stuart castings not only have good plans and drawings but booklets were printed on how to machine them..
One such kit was the Stuart beam engine.

Hello all,]
Etc.

However anything for sale will have to be shipped/mailed, unless you are located somewhat near Buffalo
Hi Fireguy. - KJ.
I hope the weather in Buffalo has improved.
Sorry, I do not have any spare kits for sale, but can advise UK regular suppliers as follows:
These are 3 from whom I have procured excellent casting kits:
Blackgates Engineering,
Stuart models,
Polymodels,
And there are a few more you'll find on the interweb.
But I guess US kits and shipping are cheaper anyway with current exchange rates?
K2[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Thanks Steamchick,
Polymodels was a jackpot website.
Now I just have to contact them and find out about cost and shipping.
Blackgates is pretty much all locomotive which is not my thing right now.
there are a couple other You-Tubers I watch for interest and machining tips.
I agree that Joe Pi is a master machinist, however, my machining equipment is going to more in the BH scale of things. And as such I go to hers first, and can relate more,,, then sometimes follow up with a Joe video.
I've got 5 kits from Polymodels listed as possibilities. I need to look for videos on them running to see if they hit the sweet spot.
Bodmers,
Galloways,
James Booth,
Whitmore, and
Ferrabees.

Hello YouTube engine videos for reference.......

Ifffff you are interested Ill let you know what,, if any,, gets ordered.

Cheers,
KJ

I, too, really enjoy watching BH and Pie, as I almost always learn a new technique. HOwever, there are some others that rarely get mentioned that I also thimpfk are pretty good. Halligan is one. There are a couple guys that are mentioned quite a lot that I thimpfk simply talk too much and nevr get to the machinning til I've fallen asleep. Of course there are those guys who are supremely entertaining and do excellent jobs of editing too. There are others too that have a lot to say and show but do poor jobs of editing. So those of you who post your machining, I do appreciate it, however, you need to edit it to the point that the viewer is not watching 10 minutes of one cut--that's tiresome. That, I thimpfk, is why BH is so popular: she does the best job of anyone that I know of editing and then she over dubs her vid in order to make the stuff nice and compact AND doesw not compete with the noise of the machine.

There was one fellow who's subject I was really interestid in, it was building a radius turner. However, the fellow showed every agonizing cut from beginning to end and the noise of his machines overpowered what he was saying.

For those of yoyu who make vids, THanx, but please, edit the noise out, keep the vid as short as you can but with all the necessary info, and if necessary, over-dub instead of trying to speak while noisy machines are turned. on.

Fortunately for you'all, I don't have a camera and cannot show you my stuff because I would most likely break all these rules. Sorry. I'd also be very boring (boaring? BOORING?) I shoyuld record myself, as I am probably the ohnly one who likes listening to my speeches (well, with the single exceptiong of K2, LOL)

Anthony Mount designs as supplied by Polly Models may be OK, but I had a terrible time with their Robinson hot air engine. Two flywheels and three cylinder castings had to be replaced. The last cylinder casting still needed a lot of JB Weld application to make it useable.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

I have made the Blackgates bronze V-twin oscillating engine (now in a boat) and am half-way through making a water pump from them. No problems with plans and castings. (Just my workmanship).
I made a Stuart Sun engine, from excellent iron castings, etc., but 1960s plans had some corrections but there were still a few errors! Check, Check, Check!
K2

Back