Casting Kits I would like to see For Sale Again

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might be your ISP giving problems, try from a different location or from your phone when away from home, couple of threads with some good casting going at the moment.

A couple of years ago I considered joining another forum, but was never able to do that, regardless of the method I used.

I joined this forum not too long ago, and it has far exceeded my expectations, to the point where I would not consider joining any other model engine forum, even if given the opportunity.

I like it here; I like the folks here; I like the laid-back casual attitude; I like the model engines and the great work that I see here.

This forum is home to me, and will remain home for me.

Edit:
I can't see the photos on the "other forum", and I have no way to join or access the "other" forum.
So the "other" forum quite literally does not exist for me, and there may be many others who are in the same position.
Simple solution: The "other" forum members just need to join HMEM, so we can all see what is going on.

There is some extreme foundry depth on this forum.
You won't find as much foundry info on any other model forum.
This is just one thread here about foundry work:

https://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/threads/home-foundry.33291/

Last edited:
Who needs a foundry when I can produce CI flywheels start to finish ready for paint while your printer is still on the first half of a rough pattern

Yes, but I have heard this tale before..........who needs 3D modeling............who needs CNC.............who needs a foundry..........

Its only a matter of time before you cross over to the hot side.

Here are the castings, this is the ME 2 cyl marine engine.
This is my description of it. Perhaps I should just post in the right forum as for sale!
I bought this set from Dennis Howe several years back. I haven't touched it and if I were to build all the stuff I want to build I would need at least another 50 years. This is a rare set of castings and I'm pretty certain there won't be another one like it ever again. It builds into a super model. Here is the build thread here:

Compound Condensing Engine and Thrust Box - ME1923

Some specifics:
22 Brass castings

21 Ductile Iron Castings

Castings weight about 75 pounds

I will provide drawings electronically as PDF files and if you want a copy of the original magazine article featuring the engine I have a scanned copy. I have also printed out most of the drawings, it is a stack about 3/4" thick.

As you might guess shipping is a bit of a challenge, but doable. If you are near central NJ you can come anytime! They were sent to me in several flat rate boxes and one larger box.

If you want a long term project that will result in an amazing model this is for you.

Cost is $2500.00 plus any shipping. I don't think you could duplicate this, esp. at today's prices!

contact me here or at locolima @ gmail.com

Attachments

• _DSC1171.jpg
    _DSC1171.jpg
    527.5 KB · Views: 2
  • _DSC1172.jpg
    _DSC1172.jpg
    492.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0545.jpg
    IMG_0545.jpg
    759.8 KB · Views: 3
That is quite a kit for sure.

I can't recall anything about Dennis Howe or his foundry.
He made some nice castings (or had someone make them ?).

It may be a pretty safe assumption to say you won't find another casting kit like this again, but the technology and knowledge base to make these castings in bronze and gray iron exists right here on this forum.
We have the technology and the equipment, but not much time to make such things happen.

Making a set of patterns for this engine would be somewhat time consuming, especially that cylinder with the cast passages.
From a time standpoint, if time=money, most would save a lot of money by purchasing these rather than making their own.

Good luck selling this kit.
It really is some beautiful casting work, and a great model engine style too !

Thank you GreenTwin! It is quite a kit...and I'd love to build it but too many other projects in the queue! Time...the most valuable commodity.

Pat not sure how you arrive at the amount of Knowledge on other forums if you can't even look at them?

If you were a member of the other side you would be familiar with Dennis and his other engines as he posts there and there are build threads of engines as they were developed we also have several other commercial kit producers who again show the processes of their kits from concept, patterns, castings and then building the engine. I think several moved away from here when it changed hands. Few off the top of my head - Dennis (Historic Reproductions), Maury (lonestar) Dave Otto (some work with (Morris & Marvin) Roland (Morris and Marvin), Graham(Alyn Foudry) Doug (ministeam)

As I said earlier the patterns for this engine are held at the Foundry Dennis used so you could probably get another set run off if the demand were there which was Dennis's intension

From my emails with Dennis it doesn't seem like more sets are economically viable at this point. One reason I got this set was, historically, so many nice casting sets have dissapeared over the years. I knew I really liked this one so went ahead and got it. I'm not a "casting hoarder", I only have this and one other set for a Cretors engine that I will probably sell too. I love stationary engines...but locomotives are taking all my time(that I have left!)

Pat not sure how you arrive at the amount of Knowledge on other forums if you can't even look at them?
Sort of reinforces what I am saying, that it doesn't exist if other's can see it.
There is information in books in China.
I can't see those either.

Just to satisfy some folks, I attempted to register at the "other" forum a minute ago.

I am on some sort of blacklist for that site.
No matter what username or email address I use, I get the message to the effect "you are spam", and thus I am blocked from the site permanently.
If I am blocked, I have to guess others are also blocked if they are also blacklisted.

I did not have any trouble at all joining this forum using the same email address I have always used.
This site appears to welcome all modelers.
The same cannot be said for all forums.

So the loss is theirs, not mine, I am on a great forum with great people (the best in my opinion).
I don't need another one.

Just sayin.

Certainly sounds more like an ISP issue. MEM would have had issues with that server or ISP and it had tripped the security to block things from that source. Hence my suggestion of trying from elsewhere so your isp is not used.

If you look at the top corner of this image you can see I have not logged in and am just viewing as a guest, yet the first of many images in my post shows up. Same as it will for anyone except you if they just look at the site without registering.

Your loss as there are posts there by people who are keeping the kits alive by producing them, coming up with new ones and also making patterns to keep old ones going including full size. Also many making one offs from old original ref material

guest.JPG

Last time I checked, most of the posts were text only.

There are so few visible photos in my previous visits that it is a waste of time trying to find a post with visible photos.

Its all good.
Everybody join the place you like, and enjoy your forum/life.

Build engines and be happy.
Don't worry if you are here or there.
Build engines and enjoy the hobby.
Post your stuff where it makes you happy.

Just to satisfy some folks, I attempted to register at the "other" forum a minute ago.

I am on some sort of blacklist for that site.
No matter what username or email address I use, I get the message to the effect "you are spam", and thus I am blocked from the site permanently.
If I am blocked, I have to guess others are also blocked if they are also blacklisted.

I used to be blocked on that forum .
With the help of @Roger B ( mod of that forum ) I was able to sign , I asked in that forum and found out that they block IPs of some parts of Asia
but after a while, I got blocked again
I don't think you will be blocked. :rolleyes:
I did not have any trouble at all joining this forum using the same email address I have always used.
This site appears to welcome all modelers.
The same cannot be said for all forums.

I totally agree with you
Everything with the forum is simple for everyone who wants to join

My dad built two Scientific American engines in 2006.

My dad was friends with Tom Lindsay, who ran the famous book empire.

The game Tom and my dad would play is that Tom would send dad an engraving of an old steam engine, dad would build two engines in a few weeks, and then dad would mail a functional engine back to Tom Lindsay, much to Lindsay's surprise.

As I recall dad sent Tom a Bernay, a Scientific American, a Robertson Semi-Rotary, and perhaps other engines.

Attached are photos of dad's Scientific American.

A bit of a sad story, but dad got pancreatic cancer in 2006, and so he never got around to finishing the flywheel for his Scientific American.
I distintinctly remember one of the last conversations I had with dad in his shop, and he said "Here is my Scientific American; I can't finish the flywheel; perhaps someone else can finish it".
At the time I had never made a model engine, and so all I could say was "We shall see".

I hacked out a flywheel for dad's Scientific American, but it was crude, and not up to par with dad's work by any measure.

To be honest, I can't look at dad's SA engine; too many memories, but it is a great build, and not too complex.

1st photo is engine dad sent to Tom Lindsay.

2nd photo is engine dad did not finish.

3rd photo is how the Scientific my dad started sat on his bench after he died in 2006.

It sort of inspired me to learn the hobby and try to carry on what dad started.

Engine-22-Two-a.jpg

Steam-Engine-No-22_xx.jpg

partial-Workbench.jpg

Well I suppose it does get the numbers up to attract more adverts if it's easy to look;) but can drive others away

Pat, If you ever want the file for a suitable flywheel just ask, made mine 99mm but easy to scale it up and I could add a pulley

I did tart the base and a few other items up a bit. Not seen the actual article before just the images and part description

DSC04671.JPG

Back