casting accidcent

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From experience running my own small foundry I have found that thick leather is the way to go head to toe and proper foundry boots mine have steel toecaps steel sole plates and metatarsal guards. They are also guick release with clips on the side and a flap covering the front.

A good substitute, apparently, is the type of armoured boots that motocross rider wear. Although I haven't tried them personally.

Another point that I don't think has been raised is wear a hard had with a full face visor. I have personally had a small blob of molten iron ricochet off the roof and land on my head. I came to no harm but without a hard hat I would have had singed hair at the very least and possibly quite a bad burn.

It was said in a previous post that "molten metal takes no prisoners" and indeed it does not, nor do white hot lunps of coke. minor accidents happen in foundries regularly it's the nature of the beast.

The best way to avoid them becoming major ones is get good safety kit and use it. before it costs you an arm and a leg quite literally.

Doing dry runs as someone pointed out is another way of avoiding mishaps I always do. "practice twice, pour once" to paraphrase a common engineering saying.

So even if you do look like Darth Vader's brother and are doing a "tribal dance" around the foundry practising. you will be much better equipped to handle any problems.

As I am sure you foundrymen will agree, it all looks very different when you've got 20Lbs of molten iron "in the pot" about 3 feet away from you on the end of a stick.

Regards Mark

Latest posts

Back