Casting a model engine.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darwenguy

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all, Im currently working on a new model engine design from castings. I forgot to take photos but i have had a go at making my first youtube video recording the whole process.
This is my first part on the making of the matchplate patterns for the engine.

Next part will be the casting and then part three will be the machining.
The engine is a double acting wobble engine with a forward and reverse valve built into the model.

Regards.

Luke.

Last edited:
Looks great

Dave

Hi all, Im currently working on a new model engine design from castings. I forgot to take photos but i have had a go at making my first youtube video recording the whole process.

The engine is a double acting wobble engine with a forward and reverse valve built into the model.

Regards.

Luke.

Regards.

Luke.

If need pattren letters I have a box full.

Dave

If need pattren letters I have a box full.

Dave
Ah thats interesting, i did use some lettering on my first model engine i cast. I got some little ones that i think were for making scale model railway sighns but i have never been able to find any of the small ones again. i think the letters were 6mm tall. My 3d printer just cant do details like that.

Thanks, Luke.

Ah thats interesting, i did use some lettering on my first model engine i cast. I got some little ones that i think were for making scale model railway sighns but i have never been able to find any of the small ones again. i think the letters were 6mm tall. My 3d printer just cant do details like that.

Thanks, Luke.
I think I have 1/8" to 3/4" thousand of letter , numbers and symbols

Dave

Last edited:
Easier to buy it as dry pasta such as was used on this guys generator dampfmodellbau,Peter Fallaschek

Last lot I needed was cut on the CNC and JB Welded to the "casting" but I have used the Slaters letters a few times Barstock Heinrici Anyone?
Hey Jason, thanx for those sites. I never saw them b4. The German one is really something. I would like to translate his stuff to read soon, but in the mean time, do you know if he has plans available? A couple of those engines, I have never seen before and would like to get plans for them.

he does not sell plans. Quite a few of those engines are based on casting kits but often cut from solid, if you say which ones you like the look of I see if I know the source.

This is another good German builder's site. If you click on "Baubeschreibungen " that take syou do build photos, again based on casting kits but cut from solid in most cases

http://www.eckartkercher.de/

Yes they are for sale
I purchased all new
There maybe a few remove from patterns.

Dave

[QUOTEy="William May, post: 367280, member: 38564"]
Do you want to sell them? I have a large variety of foundry letters, but I am always looking to add new varieties to my stash. I USE them. I am not a collector.
[/QUOTE]

he does not sell plans. Quite a few of those engines are based on casting kits but often cut from solid, if you say which ones you like the look of I see if I know the source.

This is another good German builder's site. If you click on "Baubeschreibungen " that take syou do build photos, again based on casting kits but cut from solid in most cases

http://www.eckartkercher.de/
Schiffsmaschine Gorgon ; Dampfpumpe. F. Holzapfel ; Dynamo; Zwei Zylinder PF-2104-1 eine totpunktfreie Maschine ; Zweizylinder Verbundmaschine Ventil - gesteuert PF-2104-2 ; Einzylindermaschine Ventilgesteuert PF-2104-3 ; Cross - Engine ; Forengenerator ; Einzylinder Tandemmaschine ; Vertical Corliss Engine Catechism of the Steam Engine, 1904 ; THE IMPROVED GREENE ENGINE

These are the ones I am most interested in, particularly the last two. I thimpfk the Corliss might be found in a book from 1904--I mean, that's what it looks like. I will search for that. I may have it somewhere. These all look so interesting and I believe I have never seen them before.

That Baubeschreibungen site is also very interesting. I will have ;a closer look at it later.

I've put the reply in a new thread to save derailing this one.

https://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/threads/engine-identity.33583/
I had a very difficult time finding "New Catechism of the Steam Engine" 1904 printing but finally found it. I had the 1897 version but the 1904 has more pages. In looking for the Improved Greene in this book, I cannot find it, however, I have only gotten about 1/3 the way. It does not have a "contents" and the index does not have it. The Greene on the German website REALLY looks interesting and that is who points out the 1904 printing. It looks simpler than the Corliss which is a bear to build (at least for me as I still have not got my mill set up).

the thing about that book is it has some VERY interesting engines in it with various valves, governors, etc. There are too many, actually, to deal with. If there were outright plans for them, it might be a different matter. But you know how it is to draw plans, even with the best software, it still takes a lot of time. That's why I am looking for plans on the Greene so I don't have to interpret a photo into drawings! My godz, Thor and Wotan (the true godz).

This is the type of valve I will use in my future design of an engine.

If you find out any more about the Greene, please let me know.
Thanx

Attachments

• Racine automatic valve.png
    Racine automatic valve.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 128
Back