Cast iron

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try
DEBOLT MACHINE, INC.

4208 West Pike

Zanesville, OH 43701

they have various sizes avaible

Randy

One way come iron is scap yards.
You would need that what small amounts but the out there.
I have used dumbells too. Just use hole saw for blanks.

Dave

One way come iron is scap yards.
You would need that what small amounts but the out there.
I have used dumbells too. Just use hole saw for blanks.

Dave
I'm looking for some too, but I haven't visited my second favorite scrap yard yet. I'm waiting for next month to see if Ihave any money left. I can get many grades of steel there and many unknown grades. But cast usually is more difficult to find. I am going to try the cast iron of hydraulic cylinders, hoping that it is machinable. Maybe it is not CI but steel. They cylinder is already formed but of an already made size. The rod might be usable too, except I thimk it would be too tight.

Penny Wise---Pounf Foolish. Frankly, I cannot see the advance of spending so much time in trying to make piston rings out of- suspect metal. Piston rigs even the 12 inches to the foot ones made professionally out of THE MOST SUITABLE material can snap. We. or I have spent hours making piston ring compressors to ever so gently original Mini Cooper -over bores of +60 thous after worrying about hitting porosity or hitting oilways in engine blocks and cylinder heads-- and then having to fling the lot into scrap as with it all done, getting a squirt of glycol coming out of a plug hole.

I suggested Meehanite- and with the wisdom of practical experience and sometimes failure.

Ah well?????????????????????????????

Norman

I used the rear brake cylinder from a Mini to make piston rings. Out of the 5 I made only 1 did not break. The survivor was the only one that was heat treated correctly. The flywheel was made from a 2kg weight lifters weight.

Cheers,

Andrew in Melbourne

M & N Metals | Home sells cast iron in Odessa Tx very large supplier but also willing to sell to the little guy. Very nice to deal with, will answer dumb questions and cut small sections.
Richard

Cast iron making piston ring when not best as has pours for oil to lubrication. But now it leaks. Some manufacturers will plate the top side sealing the pours in cast iron.

I have only seen chrome but for our use copper plating will do a great job. You can use nickel but buying copper plating is purchasing rot killer from the plumbing supply.

So now the lower cast like bellbars works great with copper plating.

Dave

I'm looking for some too, but I haven't visited my second favorite scrap yard yet. I'm waiting for next month to see if Ihave any money left. I can get many grades of steel there and many unknown grades. But cast usually is more difficult to find. I am going to try the cast iron of hydraulic cylinders, hoping that it is machinable. Maybe it is not CI but steel. They cylinder is already formed but of an already made size. The rod might be usable too, except I thimk it would be too tight.

I believe hydraulic rods are a harden able steel like 4140 and I don't think the cylinders would be cast iron either. Cast iron would be to brittle for that kind of pressure.

I believe hydraulic rods are a harden able steel like 4140 and I don't think the cylinders would be cast iron either. Cast iron would be to brittle for that kind of pressure.

Hummm! From a scrap yard or other used source, the bores of - in my case- worn with leakage.
I recall having to hone the master cylinder one on my old 997cc cum 1041cc Mini Cooper. I couldn't be arsed to mess about with the disc brake and rear drum brake cylinders. I also changed all the rusted steel brake piping for Kunifer stuff.
It all sounds a very VERY slow way of accumulating money to become a millionaire:rolleyes:

I was thimking CI might be too brittle for those pressures (even so, they are VERY thick which is part of the reason they attracted me) but the cylinders LOOK cast, maybe they are cast steel? If so, they are probably hell to work. Maybe one could anneal them?

Grind on one? Granted, if I ground on a piece of metal to see what it was, I'd have to spend an hour looking at YouTube to know what the @#$% the sparks meant. But I know it's informative.

Scrap iron makes for an interesting project material, maybe not ideal but its all a learning experience. Kind of tired of the don;t waste your time or the you'll blow your self up stuff. I have used stuff mcmaster all really good material and a little more predictable . I've also used the off the shelf like debolt or this fellow has a big range of sizes http://www.ringspacers.com/rangcast.htm scroll down to the model rings.

Grind on one? Granted, if I ground on a piece of metal to see what it was, I'd have to spend an hour looking at YouTube to know what the @#$% the sparks meant. But I know it's informative.
It would be easier to find charts of spark forms. I have seen them but don't remember where. I know welding books and machining books have shortened forms of these spark charts.

It would be easier to find charts of spark forms. I have seen them but don't remember where. I know welding books and machining books have shortened forms of these spark charts.
Bollolocks! if you machine cast iron the whole place is clittered with nfree carbon that notonlygets into your fingers but your hair and a lotof othr unmentinable places which i~m am Too much of a gentkeman to eaborate. However, you will add your own expletives when you have to clean down your precious lathe bed. Mildsteel ground makes pretty sparklers for the Carthorse Julie and probably events created by our former colonies.

Bloody charts-- whatever people will think up next:);):(:mad::confused::cool::p:D:eek::rolleyes:o_O!

Latest posts

Back