Cast Iron Grades

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kspringer80

Reaction score
I've already purchased some cast iron material to make a small C.I. piston from but the different cast iron options available got me thinking... I have plenty of experience with the varying grades of aluminum and steel, but have not had any experience with cast iron at work. The supplier I purchased mine from had two different grades of round stock available "Easy-to-Machine Gray Cast Iron" and "Impact-Resistant Ductile Cast Iron" (I went with ductile.)

As a general topic what separates these different grades when it comes to intended application and machining?

Unfortunately its the grey iron you want for that and most model needs, the ductile iron is useful where there is a risk of cracking such as a crankshaft or axle.

I'll leave it to someone in the US to talk grades as our code numbers are different.

J

For quite a bit of information about cast iron grades this website is good:

http://www.dura-bar.com/products/

I have access to a distributor that sells me cut offs at scrap prices. I've used both "gray iron" and "ductile iron". They both machine well in all the grades I get, though often cut offs are unidentified.

Cheers,
Phil

Phil - that looks like a good resource. From their website, it looks like they do not sell direct; any idea which if their re-sellers is "hobbyist-friendly?"

I see you're located in Michigan. See if there's a local distributor from those listed here:

http://www.dura-bar.com/distributors/

If you are lucky one of the plant managers will let you tap the scrap bins.

Durabar also makes continuously cast bearing bronze. I get bronze bearing (SAE 660) stock at $3/lb? My guy is only 25 miles away so I visit often.

Enco sells durabar cast iron but it's expensive, then there's shipping! Ouch.

Good luck

Phil

Last edited:
Thanks for the good info guys. I may order some grey as well, I don't mint the material stock growing a bit more. It's easy to hide another 12" piece from the fiance :)

Paul, it looks like one of the Alro locations is about 4 miles from work. I'll stop by and take a look at them.

Checked the Enco website - they sell "gray iron" in 12 inch lengths; no mention of Dura-bar specifically. Enco often has free shipping offers - that's when I sometimes buy raw metal from them

kspringer80 - I live near an Alro outlet also. If you visit them please let us know what you find out. I plan to visit my local Alro in the next few weeks - I'll report back here on my findings.

I should add that some of the Alro places are plastic instead of metal (mergers with both metal and plastic companies in the past I think).

Just visited my local Alro retail outlet (Kalamazoo, MI. Here's a quick overview of what they have:

Large selection of metal stock, both pre-cut lengths and drops, including stainless steel, CRS, HRS, brass, copper, Al, painted Al sheet, expanded steel sheet, decorative wrought iron, plastic of various kinds (including drops), a somewhat random variety of tools (including individual number and letter drills), fluids (lubricating, cutting), etc.

Here are a few prices I jotted down (these are for "randoms" or "drops"), priced per pound:

Stainless steel $3.15
Cold rolled steel $1.25
Brass and copper $5.99
Plastic $2.65
Aluminum $2.99
Carbon steel sheets $0.99
1/4" drill rod (per 6ft. length) $4.94
Tool steel and alloys $1.99

These prices look pretty good to me - especially since I can avoid shipping costs (of course, still have 6% sales tax in Michigan).

Tool steel and alloys are a very good price, over here in Australia they are between $10 and $18 approx.
That's per kilo or 2.2 pounds.
Paul.

Tool steel and alloys are a very good price, over here in Australia they are between $10 and $18 approx. That's per kilo or 2.2 pounds. Paul.
In the US we would call that highway robbery. Of course I don't know what the exchange rate is but $18 just sounds very expensive.

Back