Case traction engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbritnell

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Here's another of my scratch built engines. This was also done for the NAMES show quite a few years ago. I have built the Cole's 1" Case engine so I have the drawings for it. I scaled it down to fit the parameters of the Sherline contest. It's built mainly from brass with mild steel bolts and nuts, the smallest being 1mm. Some of the shafts and internal pieces are stainless steel. It doesn't run as well as I would like but the internal sizes of the tubing and the ports are extremely small. To make the rear wheels I layed out the cleat pattern in AutoCad and then stepped and rotated the wheels in my rotary table and made successive cuts with a small degree cutter. I then filed all of the remaining material out to get the proper curvature to the wheel. They were probably the the hardest part on the engine. I made a miniature flycutter and ground a piece of 3/16 high speed tool bit to get the tooth form for the gears. I made fixtures up to hold the wheel rims and hubs and then fitted the spokes to them. Once everything was in place I soft soldered them together.
gbritnell
DSC00968.jpg

DSC00967.jpg

Impressive work! What do you use for fuel?

Just received my sep/oct issue of LS&OR and they have a 1/2 scale Case traction engine . The gentleman had it built for him and it took over 2.5 yrs to complete

Latest posts

Back