Carburetor with glass jar fuel-tank as a single unit

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Rupnow

Design Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Many of the small engine websites I follow show a carburetor with a glass jar attached to the bottom of the carburetor to act as a fuel tank. I've never seen an add for that type of set-up, and I'm curious. Do people buy them as finished units or do they make them. I don't see any good reason that they couldn't be made from a standard carburetor with a baby food jar attached to the underside where the fuel pick-up is located.---Brian

Similar to this, but with a throttle.
1664025259038.png

Food jars are really too big, even the individual jam jars are too large for your size of engine.

A long search on e-bay turned up some small ones 20mm diameter x 30mm tall including the lid which are about the right size for a 25mm bore engine. Drill the lid for a fuel pickup tube and fit with a nut inside the lid I've done them with separate throttle levers or used a twist of the jar to open and close the carb barrel

DSC03875_zpsnc9pqpyc.jpg

DSC04041.JPG

If glass was good enough for Maytag then it's good enough for us.;) but no reason not to turn one from acrylic rod amd polish the inside.

Quite a few of the older aero engines for models had similar fuel bowls cast in various plastics of the day

They are probably 1/4oz or 8mls capacity

Most of the “glass” tanks associated with model engine carburettors are plastics of appropriate type to resist the fuel used in the particular engine.
i seem to remember someone ( Brian Winch?) suggesting using the end of a polycarbonate test tube for the tank.

Not many model engines use integral tanks these days, but (afaik) the RedFin range made by/for Alex Phin do - and even have an optional r/c throttled version.
But
Theses are small capacity engines, and lovingly built in the Ukraine, so availability may be spasmodic
https://www.redfinengines.com/product-category/other-products/
Alex’ email address is on the website, he would be able to advise on the plastic used for the tanks ( all these engines are diesels, so the active ingredient is diethyl ether)

Hope this may help, or at least be interesting

Hi All,
Have been using this type of tanks for years in model engines, O&R 60 large port engine with tank. Tank only holds enough for about 2 mins run time. Pickup tube can be seen in second pic.

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
Quote "If glass was good enough for Maytag then it's good enough for us.;)"

Yes, that early Maytag had a glass jar gas tank, a hard to find engine and worth lots of money.......

Latest posts

Back