CARBIDE GRINDER

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
20200601_142859.jpg

I would have liked to purchase a Baldor brand grinder but the cost to get one in Australia from th USA is out of this world so now when the wheels arrive I will be up and running.

G'Day Norman
I tried to buy Norton wheels but they don't export them to Australia so I bought Camel brand on Ebay and I am not real sure of what I am doing but the wheels I have ordered are.
CGW-Camel 34952 6"x1"x4"GC120-I-V Silicon Carbide plate mounted wheel
CGW-Camel 34948 6"x1"x4"WA46-K-V Type 50 Aluminium Oxide Plate Mounted Wheel

Thanks Iou for the info.

I have no idea of the Camel brand but it seems that you want to rough out with the 46 grit and 'hone' with the '120' grade.
I got a set of White Aloxite ones for my Quorn. No idea of the make or grade but they are the kit ones for the Mark3 Quorn.
I'm in lockdown and shielded- for ever and fed up like most old guys. So I've said'To Hell' and bought a set of 'metal' for the Worden Grinder.
Yesterday, I was trying out a CBN wheel to finish grind and shape the HSS blade on a rear inverted parting tool on unknown steel. Seems OK so I am hope things go well with your chouice

Best Wishes

Norman

Later thoughts

My eyesight is very poor but I now note that your 46 grit wheel is a green one.

It will quickly wear out if you include grinding HSS tooling such as lathe tools, drills and milling cutters. So carbides only

Last edited:
View attachment 116827

I would have liked to purchase a Baldor brand grinder but the cost to get one in Australia from th USA is out of this world so now when the wheels arrive I will be up and running.
Lou, please could you tell me about the tilting platforms on either side of the wheels? Are they a Baldor accessory, did you make them or something else? They really look useful!

G'Day Norman
I tried to buy Norton wheels but they don't export them to Australia so I bought Camel brand on Ebay and I am not real sure of what I am doing but the wheels I have ordered are.
CGW-Camel 34948 6"x1"x4"WA46-K-V Type 50 Aluminium Oxide Plate Mounted Wheel
Ah, Camel, yes, I get that a lot in Philippines. It is usually decent stuff, but any grinding wheel can snap. When I taught students how to start a grinder, I always had them check to see if other people would be in the way of flying shrapnel (should the thing explode) and yell "CLEAR" AND to stand to the side till it gets spinning. This may be over kill, but the point is very clear. How many airplanes being started today chop up unsuspecting maintenance people? Few, because of the cautions put in place. If you thimmk this is overkill, I have a friend who indeed DID get hit by flying pieces of wheel when he started up his grinder. Had he been 3 " to the left , most likely would have kilt him ded. As was, he spent 3 months in hospital and had basically a crushed shoulder.

Also a quick test is to thimpk the side of the blade to listen for the ring (not a thunk) before starting. You should thimpk it to see what it sounds like and when it doesn't sound like that ring anymore, you really needs to be careful.

By the way, I bought a wheel from a "reputable" nation wide store in the Philippines thimking it would be a fine stone. But when I put it on the grinder, I found this stone would not grind at all! I couldn't believe it, the stone looks fine, has got the necessary grit, but it will not grind. Anybody ever heard of such a thing? I wouldn't have believed it from someone else reporting such a thing but it is true. I'm thimkking a truing tool might cut off some of the surface and reach material that will grind, but I don't have a truing tool in Phils. (Normal everyday stuff is hard to get there.)

Last edited:
By the way, I bought a wheel from a "reputable" nation wide store in the Philippines thimking it would be a fine stone. But when I put it on the grinder, I found this stone would not grind at all! I couldn't believe it, the stone looks fine, has got the necessary grit, but it will not grind. Anybody ever heard of such a thing? I wouldn't have believed it from someone else reporting such a thing but it is true. I'm thimkking a truing tool might cut off some of the surface and reach material that will grind, but I don't have a truing tool in Phils. (Normal everyday stuff is hard to get there.)

At one bit of my life and nigh. forgotten, I used to make resin for grinding wheels;)
But this was for aluminium oxide!

So here comes the classic stuff on diamond wheels which might solve the mystery. 'Diamond as anyone - or any school boys knows( and be quiet when Sir is :p) is pure carbon. If there was more diamonds about they could be used for--- heating. They would give off carbon dioxide- C2+ 2 O2=CO2.Or something!!!!!!!!. Right. move. on to sticking a lump pf steel for grinding and heat is generated- and your pure carbon ( diamond) heats up and disappears as CO2. In practical terms, the sintered diamond literally disappears. You are left with useless platen. This is where you come in.

In the hazy confines of the the home workshop- it doesn't generate enough heat.

Moving on, diamond cuts diamond and the ne xt in the scale is tungsten which diamond will cut.

And this is where we came in- possibly:D

So in naval terms, I'm 3 sheets to the wind. In isolation, being shield ed and whatever happens alone- and I'm drunk as a skunk!

So bugger the Virus and bugger the risks, I'm a grey whisker off being 90 in a week.
So 28 kilograms which are four and half stones( not diamond) have just been delivered in the form of a Worden Tool and cutter grinder kit has arrived. Dear Jon of JCSteam has tried as with other well meaning friends here to teach me how to post photos.

You all might all see what happens to a virtually blind man with a Myford.
Of cours e the kit arrived with a white aloxite wheel bu lurking, I have TWO or is it 4 sintered diamond wheels to replace - what came. in the box

Hic

Norman

Last edited:
Lou, please could you tell me about the tilting platforms on either side of the wheels? Are they a Baldor accessory, did you make them or something else? They really look useful!

I made all the parts of (except scales on tilting tables and protractor) on the grinder including backing disc's for the wheels to bolt onto , I used the same style as as the Baldor and other makes of similar grinders.
I made it as a base machine and bolted a six inch bench grinder on to the base which I have made from bits and pieces of scrap laying about workshop so far I have spend about $450 Au, to buy the baldor from the states $2600.00 Au before import and shipping.
20200605_084514.jpg
20200605_084334.jpg
20200605_084322.jpg
20200605_090036.jpg

Attachments

• 20200605_090036.jpg
    20200605_090036.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 317
My compliments over the price as the curent price of the Quorn Mk3 is £620 + carriage.

Yesterday, I tool delivery of the Worden Mk3 kit with 'some' accessories and the bill here in the UK was £476.55.
However, years ago, I picked up a Clarkson Mark 1 without tooling for £100. As A bonus, I got an electro- magnetic chuck- which can't be bad- for free.

Of course, with the usage of carbide inserts in production, no one wants to pay the real price of such things. I was once looking for a 2880rpm 1/6th single phase motor for what is now called a Quorn Mark 1 and came home with it for £100 attached to a 'welded' Mark1 Stent tool and cutter grinder.

The Worden kit is one of those 'quirks' of old age. I'm locked down as shielded in the virus thing and am going blind. Merely displacement therapy.

My compliments over the price as the curent price of the Quorn Mk3 is £620 + carriage.

Yesterday, I tool delivery of the Worden Mk3 kit with 'some' accessories and the bill here in the UK was £476.55.
However, years ago, I picked up a Clarkson Mark 1 without tooling for £100. As A bonus, I got an electro- magnetic chuck- which can't be bad- for free.

Of course, with the usage of carbide inserts in production, no one wants to pay the real price of such things. I was once looking for a 2880rpm 1/6th single phase motor for what is now called a Quorn Mark 1 and came home with it for £100 attached to a 'welded' Mark1 Stent tool and cutter grinder.

The Worden kit is one of those 'quirks' of old age. I'm locked down as shielded in the virus thing and am going blind. Merely displacement therapy.
I built a Quorn years ago I still have it but they are a pain in the arse to use by the time it's set up I have lost interest.

Hi Lou
I agree about setting up the Quorn but the trick is to save all like grinding jobs in a box so when setup you do a batch, say drill sharpening, 4 facet if you like can be done in pretty quick order on the Quorn, but some jobs will take 5 times as long to setup as the grinding takes.

xpylonracer

Of course, the 'new' Mark3 recommends a ER32 collet. I bought the 'new' drawings from Hemingway and have 25mm holder. Another roundtuit.:)

Years ago I was at an exhibition watching Arnold Throp of Dore Engineering and he was using the forerunner to the Worden 3 i.e. the Kennet. Of course, the Kennet was sold as a pre-machined kit from Ivan Law who also sold the Mk1 Quorn castings.

G'Day Trevor
Sure is I started building 2 of them down to the boiler on the one you can see and lots of bits done for the other one which I will never finish and so will flog off the bits

Nearly everything, smoke box frame & door, front & hind wheels some work to go, crank shaft & drive gears, bearing housings, front axle & steering gear, main side frames, fly wheel, drive shafts, thats all I can think of at the moment.

When I taught students how to start a grinder, I always had them check to see if other people would be in the way of flying shrapnel (should the thing explode) and yell "CLEAR" AND to stand to the side till it gets spinning. This may be over kill, but the point is very clear. How many airplanes being started today chop up unsuspecting maintenance people? Few, because of the cautions put in place.
Was taught that in HS machine shop in the 70's and still do it to this day. And I was a former aircraft mechanic who knew someone who walked into a UH-1 tail rotor. They were in the field and the aircraft on a slope. He lived. At first the flight surgen didn't believe him till he turned his helmet around. Pays to never assume. Oh, very nice looking set up. I'm 1/2 way through something similar but far less advanced.

You will find that silicon carbide wheels for grinding carbide are essentially useless. They will cut, but do a bad job. Save your money for a diamond wheel and you will get all the benefits of a "Baldor" style tool grinder.

WOB

Back in the day, we had to use the green sc wheels to form our tool and finish on the expensive diamond wheels. The green wheels broke down very fast and helped to carry off the heat from grinding the carbide.

Latest posts

Back