Car points question

Help Support HMEM:

Barnbikes

Reaction score
Picked up an older lawn mower that has a Tecumseh engine in it. The ignition/lighting coil ring is fried.
Thinking of making it battery ignition.
I have scene multiple post about using early 70s dodge point and condenser.
My question is the cam.
Only drawings of a cam I can find on the website is for the webster and it is way to small for this project.
I have a 1" crankshaft. If I make a disk 1.5" OD with a 1.002" ID how big of a flat would I need?

Misterg

Reaction score
It just so happens I have the Webster plans and Fusion360 open:

The Webster cam has a 0.375" wide flat on a 0.688" diameter which gives a max travel of 0.056" on the cam follower (on the points).

To get the same travel on a 1.5" diameter cam, the flat would be 0.569" wide.

It's probably not too critical as long as you can get the correct points gap and the points also close firmly.

ShopShoe

Reaction score
I wonder if your engine really uses that coil for ignition. I have a Tecumseh engine from a riding lawn mower that runs on the usual magneto, but has the coil ring for lighting and to charge the battery for the electric start. I also have a similar Briggs and Stratton that is set up the same way.

I also wonder if it might be easier to wind a new coil than all the other conversion work. Someone on this forum did it several years ago. I tried searching for the post and could not find it.

Just my two cents.

--ShopShoe

Latest posts