Car engine (airplane?)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barnbikes

Reaction score
Have had this picture for a while and curious if anybody knows what make it is?

Looks like the crankcase is end plates with tin riveted to the bottom.

Had someone on an other site suggest it is actually an airplane engine.

v8biketires.jpg

v8biketiresengine.JPG

Looks like a fun ride whatever it is! No apparent brakes always makes it more interesting. :)
Ian.

Ha, ha... I would not drive that for a million dollars. Seems it's the definition of unsafe. :D

Looks like a fun ride whatever it is! No apparent brakes always makes it more interesting. :)
Ian.

I think the brakes are the little rub pads on front of the rear tires.

I agree that it looks like an airplane engine. The Gas tank certainly looks like something from an early plane.

I do think the little pads are the brakes, just like on horse-drawn coaches and wagons.

I have been trying to figure out the steering. It looks like there are multiple gears: I wonder how much backlash it had?

I seem to remember this photo from somewhere else. Perhaps it was an article about whoever the driver (driver/builder?) was. Did he expect his hat to stay on while driving?

The mystery continues.

--ShopShoe

Guy on another group says it might be a Curtis model B8.

v8biketiresenginead.JPG

Could be a Curtiss V8. They set a land speed record on a V8 motorcycle, similar styling. Cool picture.

I have seen this picture before, someplace. As with many other other engines, in the early days,
People would copy successful designs of others, not worrying about infringement of design.
It could be a Curtis design. I believe it was an early race car, notice the pointed end tank, in the front. In the early teens, they would have high speed races on the beaches.

Back