Captive nut

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tel

Reaction score
Been 'gunna' make one of these for a while now - the completion of Boggy's threading tool gave me the excuse!

I had that sucker full screen, high resolution and could still not tell where the join is!!! ;D

Nice work Tel!!!
How about a pick of it apart??

Andrew

;D P'raps in a day or two, when it's run for a while!

Nice job Tel I have seen these before but I will keep your secret I keep telling myself I need to make one with about a 3/4 nut for a paper weight at work.

I made one a couple months ago. Still can't stop fiddling with it.

Great work. I saw one of these on that ABC show " the inventors" around 30 years ago but i dont think it won

tel said:
Been 'gunna' make one of these for a while now - the completion of Boggy's threading tool gave me the excuse!

Tel

Is that by any chance one of those rare 1/2-12 threads? :bow: :bow:

Cheers :)

Don

Yes Don 'Rare and Collectable' - bid big and bid often!

Thm: Nice one Tel

Looks better'n mine...

Regards, Arnold

captive nut.JPG

What's rare about 1/2" x 12 ?

One of the first threads ever invented and far better than that abomination of 1/2" x 13 that many lathes can't even cut.

Very nice work indeed ! :bow:

But I think it should have been in the "Tips and Tricks" ;D ;D

Now come on, how did you do it - pztt just between you and me !

Yes, I've been meaning to give that other one a go as well - might give it a try over the weekend

tel said:
Yes, I've been meaning to give that other one a go as well - might give it a try over the weekend

Tel

Very cagey there Tel. Will be interesting! :big: :big:

Cheers :)

Don

-->Omnimill

Yeah, that was a good one - I'll try too in a 12mm version !

John Stevenson said:
What's rare about 1/2" x 12 ?

One of the first threads ever invented and far better than that abomination of 1/2" x 13 that many lathes can't even cut.

Bit of a joke there John - somebody posted a question on one of the forums about this 'weird' thread he had found in something or other - I forget the details, it's a while ago now.

I thought it was an ellipse drawing "compass" but the pencil appears to be missing from the handle end

???

Have you tried fixing a pencil to the end of the arm of that thing John?

Bez

Back