Canadianhorsepower's build of Rupnow engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have no problem sourcing them thru Fastenal or Brafasco in Barrie. If they don't have them in stock they can generally have them the next day.

I have no problem sourcing them thru Fastenal or Brafasco in Barrie. If they don't have them in stock they can generally have them the next day.

Thanks for the heads up. I didnt even know we had a Fastenal distributer in Calgary till you suggested in. I called them just to check & they had a single box of 1/2" length :) ...but did confirm that they could assemble an odd mixture / qty order & have it in within a few days. Good to know for future reference. Thanks for the tip.

OK, back to building engines...

Give me the metric system any day, although you can get standard and fine pitch in a few sizes. :)

Paul.

Me too.
Went to Trade School 1960 and schooled in Imperial Units.

Day 1. 2004.
Went out to buy 1/4 NF Hex Bolts. Every one at nuts n bolts shop laughed. Singapore went metric 40 years ago. This is how and when I switched
to M2------------M10 Socket head fasteners. No more BSF BSW BA NC NF etc etc.

I started my apprenticeship in 1965, and everything was British Imperial. I slogged along bravely for 9 years, and in 1974 Canada sort of went Metric. We were totally lost for about 6 months. But---we only "sort of" went metric. None of the machinists rushed out to buy new metric tools nor measuring instruments. Non of the steel mills rushed to change their rolling mills to roll metric shapes nor plate sizes. Only us poor fools in the engineering office had to immediately start working in metric. Two hours after a blueprint was released to the shop, you could walk out to the shop and find some poor machinist setting with a pocket calculator changing all the metric numbers on the drawing back to British Imperial. It was a nightmare, and has never fully resolved itself here. My two best comments on the metric system came from my mother and my uncle. My mother is now 93 years old, and complains bitterly that she hasn't known how hot or cold it was since we went to Celcius from farenheit, she hasn't known how far away anything was or how much anything weighed since we went metric. My Uncle had a somewhat more positive slant on the whole issue. He declaimed that all his life he hade a 4" long XXX and women wouldn't even look at him, but now that he had a 100 mm long XXX they just wouldn't leave him alone!!!

I started my apprenticeship in 1965, and everything was British Imperial. I slogged along bravely for 9 years, and in 1974 Canada sort of went Metric. We were totally lost for about 6 months. But---we only "sort of" went metric. None of the machinists rushed out to buy new metric tools nor measuring instruments. Non of the steel mills rushed to change their rolling mills to roll metric shapes nor plate sizes. Only us poor fools in the engineering office had to immediately start working in metric. Two hours after a blueprint was released to the shop, you could walk out to the shop and find some poor machinist setting with a pocket calculator changing all the metric numbers on the drawing back to British Imperial. It was a nightmare, and has never fully resolved itself here. My two best comments on the metric system came from my mother and my uncle. My mother is now 93 years old, and complains bitterly that she hasn't known how hot or cold it was since we went to Celcius from farenheit, she hasn't known how far away anything was or how much anything weighed since we went metric. My Uncle had a somewhat more positive slant on the whole issue. He declaimed that all his life he hade a 4" long XXX and women wouldn't even look at him, but now that he had a 100 mm long XXX they just wouldn't leave him alone!!!

Hi Brian,

That was good one.
Nearly frozed to death in Nanjing,China 1988 all because of C to F and metric system which my Ozzie boss messed up in Fahrenheit.

Body parts.
Body weight -----75,000 grammes.(Am I that heavy)
Height-------------1,650mm.( I must be very tall)

Metric System.
Got so used to metric Mikes and Calipers. Cutting the H&M parts in imperial units was a pain in the side. Taking the last three cuts to print O.D. was a dilemma. Scraped thru with no scraps.

finaly found a branch that would sell them to me 5:00 for 100 pce
should be in Thuesday:cool::cool::cool:

Well well well:wall: sometime you do thing that makes you realize
your not the brightest bulb in the building:rolleyes:

I got my bolt, fine! do you think I check to make sure I had the proper size tap :Doh: NO it would have been to easy:mad:

I have all size of tap even British size tap and all you can think of
but not a 5/40 one

It should be in tomorrow or Friday :fan:

:hDe::hDe::hDe:

I've always wondered why 2-56 and 4-40 are the common threads. A 3-48 screw is 3/32" diameter and a 5-40 is .125" diameter. Seems like those would be more commonly used. Or maybe I just like things too orderly...

Chuck

I've always wondered why 2-56 and 4-40 are the common threads. A 3-48 screw is 3/32" diameter and a 5-40 is .125" diameter. Seems like those would be more commonly used. Or maybe I just like things too orderly...

Chuck

Seems like there is a metric person in there just itching to get out.

Jim

Sorry guys I didn't put a lot of posting lately:(

I've been having more chemo treatment keeping me away from
my hobby :mad:
beat the first one" stomach"
planning to do the same with the 2second one
cheers

Luc

Hi Luc
Just keep plugging away at it Buddy.
Its not a race or contest.
Do a bit when you feel up to it Thm:
Pete

McMaster Carr has sizes down to 0-80 and size for size cheaper and sometimes about half the price. Shipping has always been reasonable.

Alas ..sniff.. MMC has not shipped to Canada for a few years now except for institutions & largish firms. Trust me, we have tried every angle. There are alternatives, but count yourself fortunate to have access to MMC living in the USA.

after over a year of fighting a second cancer:fan: and kick his ass again :wall: Ive been mostly comenting and advising
for the last 13 months. I did some major equipement update and changes and not doing much else. My part time job as a proff was keeping me busy.
This semester I decide to slow down even more on work 1 day a week is plenty after all I'm 54 so have to slow down a bit LOL. My wife have been
poking me about going back to my shop and do something. Well it all happen today went back in there, it's clean as a new dipper LOL nothing has moved in 1 year
beside clean up. With all the respect I have for Brian Rupnow I could not resist to finich that project first. Some parts have corroded but it's a minor set back
(if their is one) so as of tomorrow I'm back at it YEA I'm not giving myself any due dates but I'll be at it here are a few pics of what I'm facing
cheers

Luc

DSCF2929 - Copy.jpg

DSCF2930 - Copy.jpg

DSCF2931 - Copy.jpg

DSCF2932.jpg

DSCF2933.jpg

DSCF2934 - Copy.jpg

DSCF2935 - Copy.jpg

Good on you Luc!! I'm glad you are feeling well enough to resume work on the project. It is a good running, but very out of balance engine, and wants to walk all over the room while running if it is not bolted down. if I were at the stage of build that you are on right now, I would give serious consideration to some balancing holes through those beautiful flywheels to even out the balance . If you want, I will post a drawing showing the correct location of the lightning holes.---Brian

Good on you Luc!! I'm glad you are feeling well enough to resume work on the project. It is a good running, but very out of balance engine, and wants to walk all over the room while running if it is not bolted down. if I were at the stage of build that you are on right now, I would give serious consideration to some balancing holes through those beautiful flywheels to even out the balance . If you want, I will post a drawing showing the correct location of the lightning holes.---Brian

Hi Brian I was thinking the same thing well almost
Ill post a cad drawing latter today

cheers
Luc

Latest posts

Back