Canadianhorsepower's build of Rupnow engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Luc--I have a dirty little secret. I dipped into the Rupnow fortune and bought a complete set of chucking reamers up to 1" diameter five years ago just after I bought my lathe. I didn't trust my ability to bore a cylinder full length with my cheapo carbide boring tools, and not end up with a tapered bore or a badly finished bore. When you use reamers for the cylinder bores as I do, you have to make the piston last. I am glad you are enjoying the build. I am enjoying watching everyone's progress.---Brian

[QUOTE Luc--I have a dirty little secret. I dipped into the Rupnow fortune and bought a complete set of chucking reamers up to 1" diameter [/QUOTE]

Brian --I have a dirty little secret. I dipped into the Gyre fortune and bought a complete set of adjustable reamers up to 1.5" diameter
this allows me to match the pistonRof}Rof}
let go and make the rod now

cheers

I got in the chop this morning to clean up:hDe:
ya ya ya the hell I did:D start looking at my next part on the computer
a conn rod *bang* there we go again, so no clean up but a connecting rodRof}Rof}Rof} my wife is going to be happy she went to states for me again as long that I clean my shop, dam got to go she'll be back soonThm:
enjoy the pictures

DSCF1823.jpg

DSCF1824.jpg

DSCF1825.jpg

DSCF1826.jpg

DSCF1830.jpg

DSCF1832.jpg

DSCF1833.jpg

DSCF1834.jpg

DSCF1835.jpg

DSCF1839.jpg

Lucky, :eek: if she would only go to my store yes.
But most.... no all the time she stop somewhere else
with MY credit card:fan:. I guest their is a price to pay for the courier
serviceRof}Rof}

hey some more pics:D
Hopefully one day I will learn how to put text in between pic. what I'm offering tonight ar the many step to build that bearing support it's small very small....... but that how like it:rolleyes:
enjoy the pics

DSCF1861.jpg

DSCF1869.jpg

DSCF1873.jpg

DSCF1878.jpg

DSCF1883.jpg

DSCF1891.jpg

DSCF1904.jpg

DSCF1908.jpg

Very nice Luc. I don't like working on things that small. I can do it if I have to, but I would rather work on things that are a bit larger than that bearing support.---Brian

Going well Luc, I'm glad that's about the smallest piece on this engine, I have trouble seeing small parts these days. I have glasses and a lighted magnifier that I seem to have to use more often these days.

Paul.

a student of mine told me he could not relate the size to reality so here are pictures that shows it all

cheers

DSCF1863.jpg

DSCF1890.jpg

DSCF1894.jpg

At first I thought you were going to install that LED on the engine.;)

Looking good ....:cool::cool:

Pat H.

Will you post details in case we want to follow your lead?

That would be awesome ... my 1st engine and it has EI .. neat!:)

Pat H.

Luc---I have never used an electronic ignition before, but this time around I decided I would try an electronic ignition after I got the engine running okay on the old style ignition points and coil, just to see if I could detect a difference. I have ordered a complete "kit" from S&S Engineering. Electronics are not my strong point, so if I get hung up I will come to you yelling for help.----Brian

Luc---I have never used an electronic ignition before, but this time around I decided I would try an electronic ignition after I got the engine running okay on the old style ignition points and coil, just to see if I could detect a difference. I have ordered a complete "kit" from S&S Engineering. Electronics are not my strong point, so if I get hung up I will come to you yelling for help.----Brian

with kit did you order ??
I went to get quote price for the gearth_wtf1 48.00 a pieces Ill make my own you should have something in the mail by this Wednesday

.cheers

Will you post details in case we want to follow your lead?

That would be awesome ... my 1st engine and it has EI .. neat!:)

Pat H.

sure will do that was suppose to be my first build with a Webster design
but I decide to jump in with Brian.. no regret:cool:

Luc--I ordered my gears from McMaster Carr. Although McMaster Carr will not ship to new Canadian Customers, they will still ship to anyone who has an existing account. A friend of mine who has his own engineering/fabrication company ordered them for me, and I only paid something like $23 each for the gears plus shipping and tax. The kit I ordered from S&S was about $105 but it included every possible thing I will need, even including the batteries, a battery charger, coil wire, magnet, instructions, and partially preassembled.

Last edited:
Luc - I love the method in post #28. An old timer showed me that over a decade ago when I was fesh out of trade school. Been using it ever since. Very effective too!

Nicely done Luc! My compliments!

Latest posts

Back