can leaf blower coil be used to run a Webster?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmerritt

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I have pulled a coil out of an old leaf blower and am wondering if I can use it to provide spark for the Webster I'm working on. If the answer is yes then how would I go about wiring it? It has one small wire going in to the plastic part and the spark plug wire coming out. It appears to me that the laminated part that senses the magnet was grounded directly to the engine. Would it work to run a wire from the laminations to complete the low voltage part of the circuit? I'm obviously in over my head on this one so any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Peter

If the leaf blower had ignition points then the coil can be used.

If the leaf blower had no points, solid state ignition, then the coil won't work.

Grounding the laminations would complete your circuit.

Hi
on those magnetically induced coils there is no low voltage circuit.
the laminations are bolted to the engine and one end of the ht circuit is fixed to the lams as well.
the plug lead completes the ht circuit.

the small wire is connected inside the coil to the spark plug end of the ht circuit and is normally isolated but connects to the engine when the ignition is switched off so earthing the spark and stopping the engine.

hope this helps
cheers
Roy

Latest posts

Back