Can I trigger an RCEXL CDI ignition with a "typical" Hall switch?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rklopp

Reaction score
Or do I need to use RCEXL's trigger device? I have Panasonic 6852 Hall devices and timer caps machined to suit, and would rather not have to re-machine things to accommodate a different device. This is for my riffed Upshur Twins.

I am making six Twins and have gotten two finished to the stage of running using a pair of S&S CDI modules, but supplying 12 S&S modules (or even six twin-cylinder waste-spark units @$85 each) starts to get kind of rich, considering that the sparkplugs are $25 each in addition. The RCEXL units are more like $60 each.

I am running S&S Machine Viper Z1 plugs, which have about 0.050 more reach than yours. Do you know whether the Z1 plugs have ceramic insulators?

I have bought some sensors from DL engines in Western Australia for $8 au. they come with the sensor soldered to the wire but not inserted into the plastic cover so you can actually see the sensor. The numbers on the sensor are s18319 I have done a google and ebay search for those numbers but didn't get any useful information.
Maybe someone might know what those numbers mean?
https://www.dlenginesaustralia.com/dlshop/univeral-ignition-sensor-kit.html

Search for a Hall Effect Sensor data sheet for background info. I suspect the numbers on the sensor are a specific model number used by the manufacture. The sensitivity of the sensor and strength of the magnet are typically not critical for model engine ignition timing applications. Wire it up following the instruction in the link you posted (to check sensor polarity) and watch for a spark plug spark after the magnet passed by the sensor.

Search for a Hall Effect Sensor data sheet for background info. I suspect the numbers on the sensor are a specific model number used by the manufacture. The sensitivity of the sensor and strength of the magnet are typically not critical for model engine ignition timing applications. Wire it up following the instruction in the link you posted (to check sensor polarity) and watch for a spark plug spark after the magnet passed by the sensor.

Hi colsea,
I bought HE sensors from RS Components, probably Sydney on the net.
Cost about $4.00 plus delivery.
Their stock number is 1811463.
They work with CDI and TM6 electronics.
They are the bare HE unit so you have to solder on the lead wires and insulate, all with care.
Done properly they last.

I'm in WA.

I have used hall effect devices to trigger several applications, You can use them to trigger anything with the right associated switching electronics. In hall effect devices there are those that trigger with south pole, north pole, both, latching and non latching. The latching ones take one pole to turn on and the other to turn off. So whatever the application there's something to do it.

I am aware of the various flavors of Hall sensors and have used them to trigger TIM-6 and S&S CDI modules, but don't know whether the Panasonic 6852 will trigger the RCEXL module. I am going to buy an RCEXL and do a test. I'll let you know what I find out.

yes it will run it no problem, this is what I'm using on my RC truck.
be sure that ALL ground are good.
rcxl.JPG

Image from above #10 link

Attachments

• HallModule.jpg
    HallModule.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 526
To answer my own question, yes, a Panasonic DN6852 Hall effect device will trigger an RCEXL ignition module. The RCEXL red wire is Vcc (6852 pin 1), the black wire is ground (6852 pin 2), and the white wire is signal (6852 pin 3). This is the same wiring as when using a 6852 to trigger an S&S Ignition module. The 6852 is sensitive to the magnet polarity.

Have you thought about the RCEXL clones from Hobby King?

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/replacement-complete-ignition-set-for-twin-cylinder-gas-engines-10mm-plug.html

Only US$ 35 each. They have twin units for various plug types but changing the plug caps isn't hard

Pete
I bought a couple of twin waste-spark RCEXL units from CH-Iginitions. They work fine. They cost $65 each. I believe the $35 Hobby-King ones at the link are not RCEXL, but appear to be knockoffs. They are also listed as out of stock.

Latest posts

Back