Calibration Question

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vascon2196

Reaction score
Hello!

I have a Haas CNC Mini-Mill which is used in education. It is used to cut aluminum mostly and to teach students about G-Code, Mastercam, etc

My department chair needs a justification to calibrate the machine before the money is spent.

What would be a few good reasons to calibrate besides the obvious?

Thank you guys.

If the obvious reasons aren't enough, then I doubt any other reason is. Has the machine been rebuilt?

What do you mean by "calibrate?" Do you mean check the leveling, tram, and any linear compensation? I think it would be hard to justify calibration via a ball-bar or laser test on a school machine.

The justification is as you say for obvious reasons - inspection of a part after the fact doesn't make it right, if the cost of potentially scrapped, high tolerance parts is high then calibration is justified.

Less re-working of parts and less wear and tear on the machine are two reasons that come to mind

Is it making bad parts?

No but it hasn't been looked at mechanically since the school bought it in 2006. Just trying to be proactive since it is the only CNC machine we have. If it breaks down we are dead in the water.

Calibration is not the same as maintenance. You should be able to justify a qualified technician doing an inspection and service on it, especially if not done for over 12 years. Catching something before it breaks is far less expensive and time consuming than after.

Mike

All set...thanks again for the advice and suggestions.

I was able to convince them to follow through with an annual maintenance/calibration package from the re-seller.

Take care

Unless you can say what you expect from "calibration" it is hard to justify anything. Is the machine not performing properly in any way? Does it not cut to the proper size in one axis, or both axis? Most of this is just setting up some sample cuts and then taking measurements. For example - cut a 1" square using one of your common tools, using cutter comp. Does it cut the same size on both axis? Does it cut small or large? What are finishes like? Try profiling a 1" diameter pin. Is it round? is it bad in one axis or both. Doing some simple tests will tell you if their is a problem and if there is a need for service. What are your expectations from the machine? Are tey realistic? Can it meet them?

All set...thanks again for the advice and suggestions.

I was able to convince them to follow through with an annual maintenance/calibration package from the re-seller.

Take care

This is good! That is the maintenance program part of the package. In an ideal world you or the school would do the basic maintenance, I'm actually surprised that the mill has been there 12 years and not have had basic maintenance done. Calibration is a separate issue, back in the day when there was a lot of analog parts calibration was on going. In a precision turning operation i can remember monthly and quarterly PMs and calibrations. Today with largely digital systems actual calibrations are something that can have intervals of years even multiple years.

What do you mean by "calibrate?" Do you mean check the leveling, tram, and any linear compensation? I think it would be hard to justify calibration via a ball-bar or laser test on a school machine.

Accidental post

Latest posts

Back